on 11 March 2013
Initially I borrowed this from the library, but I bought it because there are lots of written exercises and I wanted to go through them putting notes in the book. As a novice, the practical excercises really help in understanding pitch, rhythm, harmony and so on.
A CD is included and for some exercises some kind of key board would be useful, or they suggest singing the notes yourself! It's not just dry theory. And it's clearly and concisely written - no distracting and annoying anecdotes like you get in some teaching books!
Don't know how far I'll get as it looks quite complicated towards the end of the book.
on 11 December 2012
Easy to understand for an aged novice with no previous knowledge of the subject, better than 2 borrowed from library.
on 1 February 2013
A fresh approach to music theory. . I use this as a teaching resource. You still need to know what the requirements are for each grade, but when you have a group of mixed grade learners it is great because you can take a topic and go into depth with those at higher grades. I am finding it very useful and enjoyable to use.
on 3 October 2013
Great book, for the complete beginner. I read the reviews and ordered this book, which I'm happy I did. It's very straight forward and uses English terms (although it's also helpful that it refers to the American descriptions as well). I also ordered the AB guide to music theory which is also very good and a "must have" if you are learning an instrument like the flute as it follows the normal curriculum. This book gives a more "adult" approach in its' teaching method.
on 30 April 2013
This is a thoroughly good book covering the theory of music. It has one draw back, and that is that the CD is difficult to use. I could not easily find the exercises Margaret does in each unit. It may be improved if each exercise had its own track number. Otherwise it is a helpful book to use as an aid in learning the material needed to pass the eight grades of the ABRSM exams.
on 9 October 2011
I borrowed this book from the library first and found it so useful so I bought myself one. It's easy to read. All the exercises are well thought out. The price at Amazon is amazing. Buy it, read it and enjoy it!
on 4 August 2015
Very easy to read and understand. CD also very helpful
on 5 April 2015
Good book for the beginner, clearly written so most people would understand, but takes time to take it all in fully.
One of the best I have read and as a RAW beginner I have read quite a few!!
on 13 July 2015
Great book, really helped my Son before his GCSE Music listening exam.
on 7 June 2015
It was good, I would have like it more if it was coiled.