Customer reviews

on 4 December 2014
This is just a comment concerning Kindle Edition with Audio/Video version (Not the Book & CD), which I downloaded via the Android Amazon Kindle App directly from my Samsung Mobile handset device.

Wherever in the 'enhanced ebook' there is a location where an Audio clip should be there is a message which reads "There is audio content at this location that is not currently supported for your device. The caption for this content is displayed below."
A similar message is displayed for Video clips.

The slightly hidden drop down window up top which says "available on these devices", however it doesn't mention Audio and Video is not compatible.

A little bit more attention and you can see:
Kindle Edition with Audio/Video - Audio/Video content is available on Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD, iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch devices.

At a cost of £19.99 it seems that I have wasted my money and bought an ebook. I bought this as it would be more likely I would use it as opposed to the Book and CD version which I have already purchased.
on 2 August 2012
Book and Cds were quickly dispatched and well packaged, arriving before the estimated delivery time in perfect condition.
The product itself is excellent. After just a week, I had a basic grasp of the language, understanding, and being able to pronounce a basic vocabulary.
The book teaches basic phrases, but in a way that helps you to understand, instead of simply being a phrasebook.
Excellent product to help beginners to speak, understand, and write Bahasa Melayu.
on 4 May 2013
This is a very well designed course. It honestly presents the pitfalls of self-study and gives helpful solutions for keeping the student on course and progressing. The pronunciation part is clear and understandable and the native speakers make this an excellent way to learn Bahasa.
on 24 August 2015
Do not buy this book if you have an Android device. Amazon are deceitful and don't make this clear. They just say that you can read any kindle book with a kindle app., this is not true. I feel cheated.
on 29 March 2015
This review is for the Kindle Enhanced edition - the kindle book with audio.

I bought this because, although pricey for a kindle book, it seemed like a more convenient option than purchasing a book, a CD and then figuring out the best place to read the book whilst listening to the audio content.

I know there have been some negative reviews about the audio not working - and I thank the reviewers for those comments as it certainly informed my purchase decision. I have a Kindle Paperwhite. The audio does NOT work on this version. Luckily, the aforementioned reviews alerted me to this and I was able to determine, via the product description, that the audio would however work on an ipad. I have the Kindle app for ipad so downloaded it to there and the audio works fine. I had hoped that the audio would also work on the Kindle app for Mac, so I could read the book on my laptop/desktop as well - but unfortunately it doesn't.

My first impressions are it is a highly usable language guide. I love being able to read a passage and then just click on the page to hear the corresponding audio. I'm sure it will help me come to grips with the basics of the language. There are a few formatting issues - paragraphs out of line in certain areas etc - which presumably are as a result of the conversion to the ipad format. Nothing major though.
on 2 July 2014
I love the structure of this course. Each chapter contains a few lessons, and each lesson is broken down into bite-size portions. As it says in the book, you can learn something useful in 1 minute, or 10 minutes. The audio accompaniment is different from other courses I've come across. It's very different from the usual "listen and repeat" with lots of pauses. Many of the lessons in the book have a conversation passage about a page long, with a vocabulary. The audio has the conversation without breaks and explanations. Personally I find it a very different and much faster way to learn. Many of the audio chapters end with an "Over to you" section where there ARE breaks, and also questions and variations on the conversation where you must respond in both English and in Malay which aids both comprehension and recall. The only criticism I would have of the book is that there is no summary of affixes (although they are explained throughout the text). This is the best language course I've come across.(out of 4 languages spread over about 8-10 different online courses and books). Top notch!
on 24 May 2013
I've just purchased this item, and have just learnt that I cant access to the audio. I am asking now, what the hell'd be the purpose of buying this crap if you cannot listen to the audios?
And it cannot even be returned in hope of a refund, what a bloody rip off. Keep away from Kindle!!!
on 17 September 2015
I am happy with this package it is what I expected and works well.
on 10 October 2016
The book is pretty good and easy to understand.
on 25 December 2012
Finding it heavy going but incidentally very enjoyable. I can now count to 20 which is quite an achievement. Enjoying the challenge