on 23 February 2011
Most books/CDs are - I think - too hard for absolute beginners, and this can be discouraging.
This is because in the first few chapters there is just so much material: the alphabet, the tonic accent, the grammmar, the vocabulary (words can be very different, and long!).

So I think it makes sense not to learn all the difficulties at the same time.
This book is ideal before moving on to Teach yourself Russian.

In this set the grammar is kept very simple, but it still can go quite a long way.
Also, the dialogues in the CDs are very slow. Much slower than spoken Russian but this is what we want when we're a beginner.
on 27 February 2015
As a now fairly proficient speaker of Russian (or so my online russian friends tell me!), I strongly recommend this excellent book for anyone who would love to have a basic command of this unique and, if I say so myself, quite beautiful language. Unburdened by exotic concepts of complex grammar and all that six-syllable drivel that "true" linguists like to push on us, you simply learn and enjoy.

I myself studied with only the book, no audio help, and can now surf the web in Russian without the GoogleTranslate at my side. Many pages of my notebooks are filled with handwritten Russian, and I had no stress when learning, not for a second.

So, if you really do want to "Get Started In" Russian, and can only limit yourself to one book, don't make it anything else; get a this book. Why? First of all, before you ask, I am not an employee of the Teach Yourself series, so I am not biased. I simply found my journey with this particular book easier than even the Michel Thomas series.

Mainly, because my needs were addressed. Within 2 chapters, you will read and know the alphabet, and know over 350 words shared or nearly shared between your mother tongue of english and Russian.

Oozing Russian culture and filled with exercises to entertain, learning Russian has never been so much fun!

Other than that...
on 24 August 2016
Really good (even though a bit old). Slow and well paced beginning. Makes one feel comfy with the alphabet and simple phrases. The sound transcript of the Russian phrases is based on English which is a bit annoying for people with other background as English but this is to be expected when buying an English based book. On the other side it is a very encouraging learning monitor to see that -after some time- reading and pronouncing the cyrillic original becomes faster and easier than deciphering the sound transcriptions...
on 6 April 2014
To me the audio support sounds as though they have used native speakers. They sound authentic to me. Where you should repeat back words or phrases I would like more time to get my own attempts out.
on 18 February 2017
A very user-friendly course -- well planned and explanations are easy to understand . I would recommend this course to anyone wanting to learn Russian .
on 14 March 2016
We wanted a spare copy for someone who just joined the class
on 5 November 2014