on 25 August 2010
I got this book from the local library just prior to having my first lesson in the Alexander Technique. I read it, understood parts of it (there's a lot to learn!) and went for the lesson. I have since had two more lessons and find this book invaluable in helping me understand the technique better and refreshing my memory on what my teacher has told me. The book is meant as a self help book but I would recommend using it in conjunction with lessons, as the author himself does. Sometimes you can't quite get the right idea from the book and it needs a teacher to point out what you're doing wrong (after all, the best way to learn how to do something is from observing someone else, not reading it in a book). I now read the book every few days and each time I read it I learn something new. The Alexander Technique is something that just falls into place as you go along which is why, at first, the book doesn't always make perfect sense. But as your lessons progress, so things start to "click" - same with the book. I have now just ordered my own copy - at £5.99 you can't go wrong!
on 24 April 2011
This is a great book explaining what the Alexander Technique is and offering some really basic 'lessons' although in reality they are more like a 'sampler'.

I'm HUGELY cynical of any new age rubbish but this is nothing of the sort. It's very well organised, well thought through medical/physiological advice.

Read the book, enjoy it, and do what it says. I'd be suprised if you didn't experience some suprising and very pleasant revelations. I don't want to spoil it, approach it with an open mind. I did and I really enjoyed it.

For me it may or may not lead to the formal lessons. I haven't won the lottery as far as I am aware and I don't have the time to spare but after my positive experience of this book perhaps that would be my loss.

I "walk tall" with a lot of pride for a few quid. Seriously, buy it if in doubt.
on 13 September 2011
A very good book indeed and it is really helping with my back pain. Received in good time and good condition also
on 14 June 2015
I was fairly sceptical, but after suffering from back and neck tension for years I thought I'd give it a try. After reading it and trying out the techniques, I really do think it made a difference and I've been experiencing noticeably less back and neck pain. I think it's definitely improved my posture and my quality of life, so I've since bought another copy for my mom who had a spinal fusion a few years ago, to see if it can help her too.
on 3 October 2015
The book is informing, but I think you still have to see a teacher in the techniques
on 11 May 2013
Found this on Amazon after reading a health magazine which mentioned Alexander Technique - well worth a try - my sciatica is under control after almost 45 years of suffering - Thanks Amazon AND the Author Richard Craze!! No more painkillers either :-)
on 1 May 2013
This book gives a good introduction to the principles of the Alexander Technique. The text is straightforward and unfussy, and would be a very helpful accompaniment to anyone having lessons from a qualified teacher.
on 22 March 2013
Very helpful with some exercises that help immediately. I have been trying them out for a few days now and have felt the benefit. Not too complicated to understand.
on 22 August 2013
This book has certainly improved my quality of life... Many thanks. I've recommended it to others, practice what you read and things will improve!
on 27 November 2014
I think this book provides a good overview of the Alexander Technique. It covers a lot of material and is easy to read.