Customer reviews

The Complete Philosophy Files
Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 April 2014
Not only is this an excellent introduction to philosophy, it is also a good read. The tallented Stephen Law has made me realise that philosophy is an every day necessity, we do it all the time. As a life-long reader of SF and fantasy, I have been wrestling with philosophical questions all my life: what is it to be human, what is God, how do we know right from wrong?
There may be more complete or in depth books on the subject (lots of them) but I feel more prepared to tackle them thanks to Mr Laws and his illustrator Daniel Postgate whose cartoons illustrate the text perfectly. I think I am now able to read Sophie's World with confidence!
To whom would I recommend this book? Anyone who lives in a world with other people! It is aimed at teenagers, I guess, but would form a good springboard for discussion with younger children too. Teachers will love it, parents need it and the rest of us can just enjoy it.
on 22 October 2013
If I were a teenager I would absolutely hate this book. As a grannie I appreciate the examples and easy introduction to reasoning, which grannies everywhere can use to boost their own sagacity ratings.
on 22 January 2016
Very good book enjoyed by my 11 year old. It answers questions she has been asking for a while and gives her different perspectives. Each questions are short enough that you can read them any time and think about it. It is logical, thorough and impartial as it should be and let the reader makes its own mind which is what she was after.
on 27 December 2013
This is a great book and fun to read. Whilst it is really easy to read and has good examples it does still make you think. A good introduction to philosophy and reasoning.
on 30 April 2014
The Complete Philosophy Files is a very interesting book, we are using it in our Philosophy Group at U3A, and very quick delivery.
on 11 February 2016
Arrived on time. Its an excellent book. Fun and entertaining, at the same time explains all the interesting philosophical issues in an understandable way. Great for middle/high school.
on 25 January 2016
Excellent book. Written in a way ideal for younger readers.Excellent service
on 25 June 2016
My son loved it! He said it opened his eyes.
on 9 December 2014
Very,very readable and thought provoking.
on 28 November 2014
Easy to understand as a new pupil.