Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 28 December 2012
The Case of The Good-Looking Corpse is a story set in the Old West. It is about a 12 year old named P.K. Pinkerton whose dream is to start a detective compony in lawless Virginia City. P.K. is definitely not a people person; P.K's `Thorn' is that P.K. cannot read people's faces. This `Thorn' gets P.K in to a lot of trouble. P.K.'s father was a Railroad Detective and P.K. believes he was killed after an attack on his train. P.K.'s mother was killed after Indians attacked their wagon. P.K. was taken in by the Rev. Emmet Jones and his wife Evangeline. They were soon murdered by a desperado named Whittlin Walt and his `pards'.
The Case of The Good-Looking Corpse is extremely well written, hilarious one page, heartbreaking the next. I'm a big fan of Caroline Lawrence's previous books, The Roman Mysteries. The P.K. Pinkerton Mysteries are written in a very different style and the characters are very different. Caroline Lawrence's character P.K. is endearingly awkward. Nobody really knows whether P.K. is a boy or a girl but it doesn't really matter. Caroline Lawrence's new series is AMAZING!
Maia--age 11
on 8 June 2012
The case of the good looking corpse will transport you right back to the wild west, so that you can't put it down. Gripping, funny and full of little suprises, this humerous, action-packed story will make you laugh and cry all at the same time. Once you start you just can't stop: I devoured this book in a day. Five stars.
on 30 January 2013
My 8.5 year old son has read many of Lawrence's Roman Mysteries and the first of this Pinkerton series, so he was very eager to get going on this latest story. From his point of view, it is a great story with a gripping plot. As a mother, I find myself twitching at the detailed considerations as to when someone would strangle a victim and when you would use a knife to slit the throat. Prostitutes and all the colour of a rough and ready western town are thrown in too. I can't quite work out what age range this story is aimed at. Even the main character, who is supposed to be only 12 years old, seems a rather unconvincing attempt at putting a child into a grown up role. Why not make Pinkerton an adult and be done with it?
Despite my son's enthusiasm, I won't be buying the next instalment...not until he is 13!
on 21 December 2016
I've read the reviews and totally agree the story is great- I love it. However it was bought for my 9 year old granddaughter who has read it and thankfully hasn't commented on the career of the females! It would have been helpful if some indication of this content had been included in the covering blurb and not detracted from the enjoyment of the story from a grandmother / granddaughter aspect. I should add I bought the boxed set. Sorry about complaining but it is a child's book and only needed a hint on the over. My rating reflects my enjoyment - my complaint still stands.
I Kernaghan
on 25 September 2013
Great book, very entertaining about a young detective in 1860s Nevada. Very funny and it had me turning the pages fast to see who the murderer was. Just the sort of book I'd have loved when I was young. And moral to boot! Despite being surrounded by Soiled Doves and gunmen, that was the reality of life in the Wild West!
on 9 December 2012
I absolutely love all of Caroline Lawrence's books, and this series is just fantastic. I'm 22 and study the West, and these are just so well researched that I can easily appreciate how much I actually learn from them. Can't wait for the next one!
on 13 September 2014
Caution, this is the same book as that titled "the petrified man" . Enjoyed reading this, but was disappointed to start the other book and find it was the same!!
on 28 May 2013
Really enjoyed this book. Equal to previous one. Probably aimed at 9+ age range with a bit of understanding of 'wild west'.
on 18 August 2014
brilliant read
on 21 August 2012
Billed as a book for children, of what age range I can only hazard a guess (one site puts it as low as ages 5 to 9) though I'm pretty sure it must be for older children children aged 11+.

I don't know perhaps I'm out of touch as to just what is suitable reading material for this age range or perhaps I'm just shying away from them reading unpleasant details BUT there were several elements to this particular novel that concerned me ..... various gruesome descriptions, men of fairly doubtful morals, the mention of prostitutes and what seemed like the continuous mention/pen and ink images of guns to name but a few.

Reading it as an adult though ...... I loved the maps and the little sketches that headed each chapter and whilst I thought the plot was lacking a certain something, I thought the characters were fairly well written, the fact that the main character, P.K., was a 'half Indian' commendable, the fact that he had so many obsessions and foibles interesting.

What really annoyed me however was the author's constant use '&' instead of the word 'and'. Trendy? Making a statement? I don't know BUT I think that in the battle for good grammar, punctuation and spelling the author did no favours to children in overusing what I consider a sloppy alternative.
44 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse