Customer reviews

on 21 December 2016
The Tillerman books bring me right back to when I was a teenager and couldn't get enough of reading Cynthia Voigt's writings.

Start with book one as that's perhaps the most important in the series - I could never get over how Dicey organised her siblings, how they lived on virtually nothing and yet the small meals they had, Cynthia managed to weave into the experience being fit for a king. Book 1 (I can't currently remember the title) took my breath away the first time I read it, and back then (without Kindles) her works were difficult to find where I live but I kept tracking until I had read all of the Tillerman Cycle.

Could not recommend enough - not even just to teenagers - I still reread them now as an adult.
on 4 July 2014
This is a great book and a perfect sequel for the book 'Homecoming' (which I reccomend reading first!) it has a good storyline and is both happy and sad at different points! Great price and great quality product!
on 12 October 2015
Bought for 14 year old to read. No adverse comments heard!
on 22 July 2002
The second part of the Tillerman series was definately one of the books i was looking forward to reading. It carries on from where we left off in 'Homecoming' where Dicey and her family are living with their grandmother who is very emotionally strong. It was so amazing to read that I felt as if I were actually there and just by reading it I felt as if I actually knew Dicey. The book is again full of different moods- happiness to sadness. This book is definately one to read.
on 18 January 1998
The book Dicey's Song was one of the most insighful books I have read having to deal with children's emotions and feelings. I read this book and some of the other books that deal with the Tillerman family and their friends for a college Bibliotherapy class. I could not put any of the books down once I started reading them. I thought that Cynthia did an excellent job portraying the emotions of an abandoned thirteen year old girl and the struggles she dealt with inwardly. I think that the book was very discriptive and well written when it came time for conversations among the family members. Cynthia did not lead me to believe that life is fine and merry for the Tillermans. They do face struggles but along with those struggle comes understanding and hope. I was very pleased with Cynthia's use of emtion throughout the book. It made the book one of those, "I can't put it down books." Well, the story is sad and emtional but there are little things along the way that bring a smile to your face and tell you that things will work out in the end. It is a fabulous must read book. :)
on 14 January 2001
In this book, Dicey learns how important friendship can be. She overcomes the trials living in a new area and going to a new school can present to a teenage girl and proves to the pupils and to herself that you don't need to be the same as everyone else to fit in. It tells of Dicey's first summer in her new home and shows how she gets through it. I found this book to be very well written and the plot was belivable and the characters drew you into the plot and made you feel for them. Overall a very satifying book.