Format: Board book|Change

on 16 July 2009
I teach English to young children. I love it and I firmly believe that telling stories is the best way to encourage and help them to learn a language. I saw this book on a BBC children program and since I liked the story very much, I decided to buy it. I'm very pleased I've done so, the pictures are simply great and so is the story. I think it will be lovely to sit on the classroom floor all together, at Christmas time, and tell them this beautiful story. I just can't wait to see their expression! Highly recommended.
on 30 May 2012
This book is absolutely gorgeous, and would make a lovely Christmas present.

The story is heart-warming - it's about a generous bear who, instead of hibernating, stays up to make the most wonderful Christmas ever for his woodland friends. His bear-cave is a bustle of activity - putting up the tree and paper garlands, wrapping presents, everything Christmassy. And the ending is lovely (I won't give it away)!

Karma Wilson's rhyming text is lyrical and rhythmic, ideal for reading aloud and reading along with. My baby cousin lives in Germany but is bilingual - although she understands English she mostly spoke German, until I got her this book and now her favourite phrase is 'Bear stays UP!' (the phrase is repeated throughout the book).

Jane Chapman's illustrations are dreamily exquisite - the big old bear is adorable and the other animals are expertly realised.

I love it!
on 3 January 2013
Was given 'the bear snores on' and my son loved it so was eager to see if there were any other books in this series. Bought this and another of the bear stories and they have proved very popular bed time reads. The illustrations are beautiful and we love the stories. Would recommend to anyone with book loving children like mine.
on 19 November 2015
Received this book today as this will be for my one year old Christmas Eve box. Little and hard pages book to prevent any mishaps with rips☺️. Lovely little book about a bear and his friends and waiting to experience Christmas it is fun and bright and not to heavy on the reading to prevent lack of concentration and encourages you're child to engage. Very happy .
on 14 January 2015
This board book is a fab little story. Its a little beyond my reception age son but there are enough 2 and 3 letter words throughout the book to get your little one to say themselves. Its a lovely caring Christmas story with great little pictures to talk about too.
on 6 February 2014
Absolutely gorgeous book with lovely illustrations, however I really wish I'd bought the book rather than the ebook. The children are not so enamoured with it as I'd hoped they would be; even though this is in colour on the kindle fire hd. They prefer me to read them physical books. That said it's been useful when we're out to have a couple of kids ebooks on the kindle for emergencies.
on 13 August 2016
I absolutely love this book & so does my son. Each Christmas we buy a book for Father Christmas to leave under the tree so our son can open it up on Christmas Eve. We then read it by the Tree. This was from his second Christmas when he was 1.5yrs (now 4) & have loved reading it ever since (no matter the time of year). The illustrations are beautiful & relate so well to the words. My son asks to watch the last picture (it's still but he means look) on the occasions he hasn't fallen asleep. The size of the book is just right & I really like the fact it's hardback, suits the type of book. I highly recommend this to everyone.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 30 November 2014
Another of the marvellous Bear series from a superb team of writer and illustrator, here seeing Bear hibernating and awoken by his friends to share their Christmas celebrations with them. He valiantly stays awake and even outlasts them to make it a Christmas to remember.

With a familiar singsong refrain, all our favourite woodland friends and a visit from a special someone, the formula holds good and had my son riveted.

We got a talk about hibernation out of it, and loved seeing the gifts the animals made for each other.

Great series for 2-5 year olds.
on 8 January 2014
Christmas read which I bought for my Swiss great nephew who is learning English (at 5). Wilson's bear books will become classics in the future. Not only are the illustrations terrific but the characters are warm and wonderful too.
on 21 December 2014
A magical Christmas book which I simply love reading to my baby boy. Beautiful illustrations and a really lovely story which my son loves being read. A bit smaller than I was expecting but none the less a real joy.