Customer reviews

Nevermore
Format: Hardcover|Change

VINE VOICEon 30 August 2011
I have had Nevermore on my shelves for a while and have been put off starting it because of its size, at over 500 page it is a bit of a beast, but I really shouldn't have worried as I whizzed through it in the space of a few hours.

Isobel and Varen are an unlikely couple, forced to spend time together when they are made to do a joint project on the work of Edgar Allen Poe. While you can tell from the outset they are going to get together it's hard to see how at first. However as the book develops you find yourself routing for them more and more, hoping that they'll sort it all out against the odds. Their relationship isn't the usual lovey dovey romance, it's haunting and dark and built up in the creepiest backdrop you'd ever care to imagine which is what makes it uniquely different from other paranormal romances I have read of late.

Isobel on the surface is one of those girl, the one you hated at school for appearing to have it all. It's not until she starts to lose that perfect life, the friends, the cute boyfriend and such like that I started to warm to her especially when you start to see how toxic her friends actually are. I tolerated them up to the scene in the icecream parlour but after that I hated every single one of them. I was also very very annoyed with Isobel's Dad who seemed to have his own personal love affair going on with Brad and treated him like a God even though he'd treated his own daughter like rubbish.

From this point on Isobel became more interesting for me. She meet Gwen (I loved that girl entirely) and starts to delve deeper into Varen's world and finally starts to be pulled into his dream world, facing the very danger that Poe faced himself. These sections of the book were very creepy and I often was left not quite sure what was going on as reality and dream world started to overlap. As the book went on the setting and the events became more and more creepy and in some places quite disturbing.

By the end of the book I was left on a complete cliff hanger desperate to know where the story goes from here. I can't wait for the next instalment!
on 2 January 2011
Other reviewers have made an excellent job of summarising the elements of this fabuluous book, so I'll leave plot alone and start waxing lyrical about the writing instead.

I read a lot of this stuff. I have to - I'm also trying to write it! And it's true that some YA paranormal romances are very samey and bland. Not this book.

As has been said, it weaves elements of horror into a delicate love story that haunts and compels you. The writing is nothing short of amazing, with Varen's character shown in his gestures and his attitude and his behaviour rather than being told in what he says. In fact, we learn more from what he doesn't say and Isobel fills in (some of)the gaps in such a way that every page is revelatory.

It's true that the book does change tempo towards the end but I found this more of a wonderful crescendo than a disappointment or a difficulty. I think Creagh has done an awesome job of ramping up the tension before the final scenes leave us stunned and despairing and desperate for more.

I'm hugely relieved that this is the first in a trilogy but horribly afraid the next book will not come out as soon as I need it to. Like now!
on 13 January 2011
It started off slow, typical, lots of teen drama and high school filler. Teen girl (cheerleader) who's part of a 'crew' and dating the jock with attitude.Teen girl has to team up with the dark emo guy for class project on dead poet (Edgar Allan Poe) We've all read this a million times before. But by the 5th chapter i was hooked. I could not put the book down, it refused to leave my hand all day. And as i read and read it got better and better.

The book starts off soft and light but around the middle starts to get twisty and fascinating. The last half of the book is mind blowing. Think Alice in Wonderland on acid with added poetry. The movie Labyrinth also came to mind.

The lead character started off shallow, boring but changed into a different person by the end. Stronger and wiser and more mature. And the supporting characters were just as interesting and satisfying. Feathers, blood, white witches with raven black hair. Things that go bump in the night. I especially liked the new friend element.

And the guy? He's the type you secretly like but cant tell your friends. He's the loner, the goth, the brains. But hidden away is a prince with jade green eyes. Varen '
Kelley Creagh has created a world i am desperate to fall into again. Beautifully written. READ THIS
on 8 May 2012
Hmm i'm a bit conflicted with this one. I loved it and couldnt put it down as i read it, but then the direction of the whole second half was a bit like, really? this is where you're going?

The book starts out with a stereotypical popular materalistic cheerleader with an inconsiderate jock boyfriend who she's only dating because that's what head cheerleader does. Then she starts sticking up and falling for the wierd kid.
Then the book goes in a very wierd direction where you're trapped in a whole other dark world.

People may love this book because that other world was amazing, well written, and Edgar Allan Poe. But i couldnt give a toss about Edgar Allan Poe, the story would have been fine without him. And the other world was wierd. I don't know whether i just couldnt keep up with all the descriptions, but i got a bit confused and couldnt picture or keep up with what (or why?!) stuff was happenning in the other world.

Essentially, the other-world part of the book makes it really original, but i was hooked by the everyday romance that i was rooting for. I finished the book down and yearned for #2, but that was despite of the Edgar Allan Poe stuff, not because of it. If this book had just been about a cheerleader falling for a goth, it would still have been original and a page turner.
One person found this helpful
on 21 December 2011
I did like this book but it never draw me into other books which I have read in the past! I have made many attempts with this book and around halfway point I start to get confused... overall I think there are too many chapters which make me think that the novel can REALLY drag out in some parts but in the end I gave up!
on 21 November 2015
Arrived in good time, satisfied with purchase.
on 15 May 2013
Great read .. worth a look
on 13 January 2011
Really good in fact fantastic till just over halfway then it lost it's way did NOT like the ending at all.i did like Isobel and Varan though good characters.
One person found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
VINE VOICEon 23 September 2010
If I were to use one word to describe Nevermore, I'd go for haunting. Although part romance, this book leans more towards horror and mystery. Ingrained within the plot is the prominent figure of Edgar Allan Poe - and reflective of his works, Nevermore is just as dark and as fascinating. Knowing more about the poet would better your reading experience, but regardless, it is hard to resist this compelling book. It is superbly written, descriptive and genuine to its characters. The feel of the narrative is dark but smooth, fluid and completely captivating. Nevermore will drag you into its depths as easy as Poe's works - it's complex, it's twisted, but worth every word. It will have you turning pages well into the night, and leave your imagination running!

Everything begins when Isobel finds herself paired with Varen for an English project. Goth and poetic, and definitely outside of Isobel's crew, Varen finds himself threatened and bullied by Isobel's boyfriend, Brad. Isobel's defence of Varen and her subsequent distance from her crew endeared me to her. Her choice is not to stand by Varen because she is attracted to him, but because she knows her friends are acting wrongly - I liked that best about her. Her actions carry an air of realism and I never had a moment of doubt and dislike for Isobel. Varen is unlike many guys - he wears eyeliners, has lip piercing, he loses himself in the darkness of words, and is distant. He is complex, broken and... hot. It's a classic mismatch, but cheerleader Isobel is undeniably perfect for the Goth Varen. Their chemistry is one of the best I've read in YA romance.

Unlike what you might expect, Varen's and Isobel's relationship is chaste, appropriate, and is strictly within the safety of friendship - but, and it's a humongous, colossal, gargantuan BUT, the air whenever these two are together sizzles. The romantic tension between them is evident in every word, in every touch, in every searing gaze. The lack of physical interaction only intensifies the need for one, and shoot me if I was not scrambling for more Var-obel moments! Only the necessity to understand Varen more prevented me from swooning!

Isobel's difficulty at figuring out Varen's emotions is one of the most compelling parts of the plot. Although written in the third person, the readers are taken into Varen's world through the eyes of Isabel, and only through that. As a result, you only get to know what Isabel knows - a lot of suspicion arises from it and the continuous mysteries and revelations as more about Varen is uncovered is a brilliant rush. With secondary characters that will have you grinning and laughing to frowning and yelling, rest assured you'll enjoy every bit of Nevermore!

I was in tatters by the ending, and it will be a slow, painful torture to wait for the next book. Fantastic first book in a trilogy (thank God!) - and horror fanatic or not, Edgar Allan Poe lover or otherwise, read.this.book.!
8 people found this helpful
on 31 March 2013
"You're a dream. Like everything else."

It's been ages since I've finished this book and I still don't know what to say. I don't think anything I can say for this book will be enough.

This is one of the most unique paranormals I've read. You've got all sorts of Pnr out there but what about books where people create creepy worlds with their creativity. This is one creepy book but I love it. The world building is amazing. It's so ORIGINAL!. Why don't we have more stuff like this out there? Our minds our powerful things and sometimes the creepiest things live there. The author has a great concept (I've said that already I know).

I remember when I first saw the summary I rolled my eyes. A cheerleader and a emo guy. How perfect? *sarcasm* But I added it anyway because I had yet to read one where that happened. I unlike a lot of people didn't run into a lot of books that went along those lines so the idea wasn't cliche to me yet. It took me a few months to finally read it. THERE IS NOTHING cliche about their relationship. Or for that fact any of the ones in the book. It has always annoyed me how in YA parents are either absent or they suck and well friends suck as well. Why cannot there be good relationships in YA. Why must the guy be the girl's savior? WHY?

I love how the author takes it slow with the relationship. The girl doesn't wake up one day and decide that she loves the guy thank god for that.

It develops slowly, from hate to being okay with them to like to love. This kind of development doesn't only happen on the girl's side, it also happens with Varen. No Varen hasn't secretly loved her for a long time or any other things that happen these days in YA. He dislikes her because she is popular.

And no he isn't a bad guy. He is never outright rude to her. It's more like Isobel thinking he is and you can see it. He isn't a broken bad boy who is an ass. He may be broken but he doesn't take it out on other people which I admire.
Yeah I think Varen's awesomeness is one of the main reasons I love the book. How can someone read this book and NOT love Varen? He is one of the most original male characters in YA.

I think the character development is also amazing. The girl finally decides that her popular friends suck. Her boyfriend is too overprotective so even though it hurts her she turns against them and starts hanging out with Gwen. (Gwen's awesomeness must also be mentioned but we don't see as much of it in this book as we do in the next book so I won't talk about it because I'll probably end up spoiling the next book).

I cannot think normally for too long when I think about this book because thinking about it always brings a rush of emotions. I really do love this one and at the same time I wish it were nicer to me, loved me more and wouldn't be so mean.

*sighs*
Now I am just rambling. I should shut up.