Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Fitbit

on 16 May 2017
It's been a while since I've read the first in the Harry Bosch series and I have to say that this was a very welcome return. Always with a nose for something not quite right, Bosch crosses several lines to play the system and decipher the clues before uncovering the real reason behind policeman Cal Moore's death. It's a ripper of a story - towards the end, I just couldn't put it down!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 10 November 2010
~Story~

Cal Moore is a Narcotics officer looking at a recent drug killing. However he himself turns into a victim as he is found in a motel room in what looks like a suicide. Rumours start circulating about how Moore had crossed over to the criminal side by selling the latest drug of choice Black Ice.

Harry Bosch doesn't understand it. It may look like a suicide but his instincts are telling him otherwise. His superiors tell him in no uncertain terms to stay away from the case but Harry soon starts his own investigation and is determined to find out the truth. The truth can only be found by Harry visiting Mexico but with it comes the danger of corruption and his own life being on the line.

~Opinion~

I decided a while ago that I wanted to tackle the Harry Bosch series of books by Michael Connelly in order. I read his first novel a long time ago but it had been so long that I figured I should just start again at book 2 and try to read one every few weeks. Michael Connelly is a very successful author like many other crime greats such as Peter James, James Patterson and Lee Child but his writing style is not necessarily the same. Yes there are parallels in the majority of the crime genre books but that is to be expected. The one thing that is instantly noticeable for me is his attention to detail. This may not be favourable for some people but for me it makes a refreshing change. The other advantage to the detail is the advantage of getting to know why characters make the decision they do, especially when you know that this is an ongoing series.

The main character is Hieronymus (Harry) Bosch who is an ex-Vietnam soldier who is now on the force. Harry is a great character who is your typical cop who is strong willed and does things his way. People may complain about stereotypical `cop characters' but lets be fair, who wants to read about a cop who wants to play by the rules? Nothing would ever happen if that were the case.

Harry is quite a loner but he knows what's what and he smells trouble with a capital T when he sees Cal Moore dead in a motel room. The story itself did take a bit of time to gain pace but when I was about halfway through all the threads in the story seemed to come together and I was glad of all the detail.

Michael Connelly excels at describing the scenery and places that Harry visits and I could picture the dusky Mexican city that he ended up in. The great thing about this book was that although it may not have been as fast paced as some others I have read recently there was a great story behind it. The characters were well written and he added in a fantastic twist at the end which I admit I didn't see coming.

I regularly check out review stats on various websites and can see that Michael Connelly's earlier Harry Bosch books were not as popular. All I can say is that if that is the case I can't wait to carry on with the series.
on 8 June 2017
Follows the normal format but this now feels rather out of date as Harry doesn't have a mobile phone etc so can duck and dive in ways that is now not possible. In my head I was denying the storyline because of facts like this which are now so integral to our lives. Obviously were it an historical book your mind set is different, but this falls into a modern mindset without the modern accoutrements we expect.
on 25 June 2017
I've pretty quickly got hooked on the Bosch story. This second book is a page turner and just when you think you've figured something out the plot moves on with another twist that leaves your powers of deduction behind. I expected a final twist at the end and was mildly disappointed when I didn't get it so I'll have to read the third title which might reveal why.
on 12 May 2017
I like these stories, well written and constructed, but I can't be bothered with the streets of some obscure borders town or the endless tours of LA. To me they are just padding.
on 12 March 2017
Being as this is only the 5th book I have ever read, the first being Enid Boynton`s shadow the sheepdog when I was 15. Now being 50 and finding a book that keeps my small attention span going. Many thanks Michael Connelly.
on 23 June 2017
Too many characters, too many acronyms, too 'American.'

I couldn't get far into it even though I started reading it on a long bus journey and was desperate for something to read.
on 19 July 2017
A fantastic read, love all the Harry Bosch stories, this one Harry at his best, hard to put down, love I interest too, being female, you want him to be happy, but would loose his edge, tricky one.
on 3 June 2017
I've always liked the harry bosh books, probably because Harry goes his own way.If you like mysteries, thrillers with murder this is for you. they are always well written.
on 4 May 2017
As good as the first time