on 12 September 2017
Hmmm... I may just be tiring of the usual sub-plots in crime novels, films & TV series, where the cops always have to fight with the FBI and every other agency while trying to solve some murder or other. Plus the constant infighting with their current assigned partners / lieutenants / captains / Chiefs, etc., etc... and this story has elements of all those things once again (yawn...).
Bosch as a character is interesting and complex, or he was at first - many books ago - but the series is getting a bit formulaic now for me. Like a crossword puzzle nerd, after a while you can guess the answers to the clues more quickly and predict 'whodunnit' more easily.

For that, and other reasons to do with the basic plot, this story seemed less absorbing to me than Michael Connelly's earlier Bosch novels. One of the pitfalls of following a series of books with the same lead character (Bosch, Spenser, Jesse Stone, Jack Reacher, etc...) is that you can gradually lose interest in the same-old-same-old character flaws and personal history of the hero. I appreciate that the writer has to include some of that stuff each time for readers who haven't read a Bosch story before, so I realise that I'm the one with the problem!

Anyway... I guess the book is written well enough to help you fall asleep at bedtime, but I probably need a break from Bosch for a while and get into someone else's writing and flawed characters.

(NB - I hadn't read the other reviews before reading the book, and looking at some of them now - from as far back as 2008 - I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this was well below par. Others have picked up on the same points as mentioned.)
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 29 April 2015
Michael Connelly's masterful creation, Hieronymous "Harry" Bosch, could so easily lapse into cliché though, like Ian Rankin's John Rebus, whom he resembles in many other ways, he retains his plausibility and integrity.

Like Rebus, Bosch had ended up as a police detective having previously served as a soldier, and has Rebus's deep-rooted aversion to authority. In the first tow novels in the series he found himself either under investigation by Internal Affairs or actually on suspension; in the third he was the defendant in a civil action prompted by his shooting dead a suspected serial killer. As this novel opens we learn, gradually, that he has once again been suspended following a confrontation with Lieutenant Pounds, his divisional commander, which resulted in the senior officer being thrown through a window. As a consequence of that incident Bosch is required to attend psychiatric evaluations with a therapist used by the police force who will contribute towards the decision over Bosch's future.

In the meantime, finding himself with ample free time, Bosch decides to investigate the murder more than thirty years earlier of Marjorie Philips Lowe - his mother. The circumstances of his mother's death bear a close resemblance to the Black Dahlia killing recounted by James Ellroy, though Connelly puts a different twist on it (and relates the story in a far more accessible manner).

Like Rebus, Bosch is a man driven by inner demons, though he always retains his sensitivity. Connelly writes clearly, never relaxing the tension, though also never compromising his character's plausibility or essentially empathetic nature. The plot is sinuous but credible, and conveyed with great cohesion.
on 27 October 2016
Harry Bosch is one of the benchmarks against which crime is measured - and with good reason.
The first person narrator has a gripping voice, and the plotting is as taut as a piano wire, but what makes this book memorable is the way that the setting is revealed - sometimes with clarity, other times through a fog. Just like the weather in LA.
The story - Harry cold-casing his mother's murder - is a little far-fetched, to say the least, but Hollywood is, after all, a land of broken dreams.
I'd go an get no 5 now, if the Kindle edition didn't have such a ludicrous price. C'mon guys, I could get a used p/back for less than half the price.
on 31 August 2017
I started a short while ago with Book 1 and have continued to read them all one after the other. Having watched the TV Series on Prime aswell and found that what they seem to be doing there is mixing and matching the crimes with the books but in a weird order.
To finally find out exactly what happened with Harry's Mother does give a good insight into the mindset of our Hero and this book does keep you gripped (they all do If I'm being really honest).
Michael Connelly has a very good way of letting the story carry you along and it also keeps a realism that you don't tend to find these days.
on 20 April 2018
Starts at a gallop and gets faster with Harry solving the case before anyone else takes a breath the only hiatus is a comic interlude of police stupidity. Short and cinematic I read it in several hours which shows the grip it exerts but it has no depth as earlier volumes have, none of Harry’s belligerent righteousness or melancholy though he still manages to listen to a bit of jazz. Not the best puzzle though for that you should read something else.
on 14 February 2013
I can't quite put my finger on why this was a slight disappointment for me, I usually enjoy Harry Bosch investigations. When the book arrived I realised it would not take long to read, there are just under 300 pages and I think if this was intended to be a "shorter" story then, in my mind, Michael Connelly made a mistake. Perhaps he had begun churning out the stories instead of developing them properly when he wrote this.
A man is murdered, dangerous materials stolen, wife threatened. Who did it. I'll leave it to you to find out and it won't take too long.
That could be the root of the problem here, everything got solved so easily and all of a sudden, wham, it was finished.
Of course I didn't realise the story was over because several pages remained and it seemed as if there was some way to go. As I turned over from what was the last page I found Michael Connelly had "intervewed" Harry Bosch and it was printed on the next few pages. This was a novel idea and it was good to see that Bosch was just as single minded out of script as he is on it...!
on 8 August 2012
The Last Coyote begins with Harry Bosch on involuntary stress leave after he has attacked his boss Lt. Pounds. As a condition of the leave Bosch is forced to attend regular sessions with a psychiatrist at the Behavioural Sciences Division, Harry is also attempting to rebuild his home after an earthquake has left it on the too be destroyed list. Whilst on leave Harry is trying to correct one of the wrongs of his life that has haunted him, for years Harry has felt guilty for never looking into the murder of his mother and he is going to use his leave to try and find her killer. This book leads you on a real rollercoaster of a ride, there are as usual with Connelly many plot twists and turns including one at the end that left me wide mouthed with shock! The last coyote goes to places that the series has not been so far as the character of Harry Bosch is pulled apart and shown in a very vulnerable light. I particularly enjoyed the way that Connelly used Harry's battle to rebuild his house as a subtle symbol of his struggle to rebuild himself. I found this book to be very, very enjoyable and very easy to read. If you are a fan of the crime genre I would recommend this book. However as I commented in my review of the previous book in the series, the concrete blonde, I find it very, very poor of amazon to not include the page numbers in the eBook version. However despite this and based on the quality of the writing and the story I am awarding this book five stars.
on 17 December 2017
Although set in a time without mobile phones or todays common technology, this is a detective story that could be told in a present day setting. An easy read with a good story line and characters who are believable. A book that is one of a series featuring the central character and to help you get away from the stresses of life.
on 20 April 2014
I thought I had read the full series but..............so it was a welcome read after several months of Harry Bosch withdrawal symptoms; I have read a few other crime novels in the interim but Michael Connelly is really a cut above. Harry was perhaps a little tiresome here in winding everyone up & being the only one to see a different pattern in the crime but I am still eager for more.
If you haven't read any of this series go to [...].uk to see the Harry Bosch novels in sequence [over 20] & start at the beginning & work your way through............ but it's a bit like watching "The Killing" it's awful when you get to the end & you're not quite sure what to do with yourself,but hey?!!
VINE VOICETOP 500 REVIEWERon 8 May 2014
Connelly has written a taut, plausible and entertaining crime novel again. His Bosch character is as ever, flawed, real and always gripping.

This time Bosch is suspended and decides to find the killer of his mother alluded to in previous books. On route we have a series of crimes to solve, difficult work colleagues and a twist at the end that I didn't see coming early on which is often the case with some crime novels.

The atmosphere of Hollywood and LA is almost tangible as Bosch searches for truths about his past. Without a doubt Connelly is a brilliant writer of this genre and The Last Coyote is a superb book in the series.