Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 August 2013
This book covers all the bases and is a must read for any new or training teachers. It's user friendly approach makes it an enjoyable read.

It covers classroom practice, management and also dealing with colleagues. There are tips how to deal with behaviour issues and also how to manage your time.

A great read that covers situations we are all familiar with.
on 18 August 2013
Let's face it, anyone who has completed teacher training in whatever form has found it a complete emotional rollercoaster. Like nothing can really prepare you for the training year, nothing can really prepare you for the NQT year either.

Amazingly, despite completing my training and leaving my second placement full of confidence, I quit my NQT job back in March for various reasons and I needed a bit of a confidence boost before I leapt into supply work. At the time, this was it.

It's divided into well thought out sections covering everything from "Before you start" to "Professional development and promotion".

If you've had an excellent teacher training period and proactive/helpful mentors in your placements, and you took the time to find a school that works for you and your NQT year, then reading this will provide you with a source of comfort and satisfaction over the next few months.

For me, as someone with two terms of NQT experience, the chapters and sections I found most helpful were "Climbing the Paper Mountain" and possibly "The First Lesson". However a lot of what I read was relatively straight forward and each school is different, so in reality you do learn on the job.

So not essential, but certainly worthy of perusal in any spare moment you may have.

Thankfully I now have a new job to go to in September, at a school which is more "me".

Good luck if you're starting your NQT year in a few weeks time!
on 20 July 2014
Love this book! I'm in my final year as a trainee teacher and thought I'd buy this after seeing it in a library and it has been worth the buy! It has helped me set up for my final placement to get that outstanding grade and prepared me for teaching beyond uni! Well done Sue you've been a great help putting advice all in one place!
on 28 July 2015
This book is definitely worth getting! I have picked it up a couple of times so far and have flicked through it. I don't know if I will be able to read it through though, it's more of a flick through book
on 26 May 2014
Very good book, only didn't give it 5 stars because there was a lot about secondary school, and with teaching Reception in September it wasn't applicable to me. Not the books fault though! Very practical and useful ideas and made me feel excited yet prepared.
on 23 May 2015
I got this book to help me prepare for the second time I applied to become a teacher in Scotland. It not only gave me the tips and knowledge I was seeking for, but it also filled me with joy at reading what teacher's life is about.

Fair to say I got a place in university and I'm sure I'll be looking through my notes and going back to this book once my first year begins.
on 26 August 2015
I could NOT put this book down! This is a fantastic book to read before you start your NQT year - I feel I have been given a boost of confidence to to start in September!. I had looked around for a book that would give me support and advice in a light-hearted way and this was just that! Each chapter was important and I found myself highlighting/noting words of wisdom which has helped me design my classroom rules, expectations and my first lesson. There is a fantastic section on marking with a lot of advice on when and how to do it - a section worth reading over 2 or 3 times. In addition to this the 'Parents' chapter is also an excellent chapter guiding you through the different types of 'parents' you could be faced with and how to overcome difficult situations and confrontation if that were to be the case. This is definitely a book I would recommend to all NQT's!
on 19 July 2009
I was fortunate enough to have been given this book free but wanted to review it since it is simply brilliant! If I had of bought it there is no way i would be disappointed. I found it very informative, full of good ideas and very supportive to be beginning my first teaching job in September! It covers everything you need and things you would never even think of! I actually felt relieved when I had read it as it i feel has prepared me for september (although we will actually see in september!) Buy it!
on 15 August 2010
I had high expectations of this book after reading many reviews. However, following reading the book I found I was disappointed. As a new primary school teacher I found that most of the advice is second nature to me anyway after going through a 3 year degree to qualify (as most people will have who will be reading the book). I found myself on numerous occasions thinking, 'well of course i would do that anyway'. I believe this book would perhaps be more useful to a secondary teacher who has to teach many classes of children rather than just one, there is a lot of examples for secondary teaching which made the book a bit general for a primary school teacher. I found other books by this author much more interesting e.g. 'Getting the buggers to behave'.
on 12 July 2013
I have only just started reading this, but found it so easy to understand and relate to, knowing that I wasn't the first or will be the last NQT to have these sorts of worries. Definitely recommend it.