on 20 June 2014
This book is perfect!
It reminds you of things you may of forgotten or too ignorant to admit, and forces you to look at the truth as well as put modern issues into context, and see its nothing new.
10 people found this helpful
on 28 June 2017
A must read for all People of Colour! This is My third copy. This one is for my Nephew!
review image
5 people found this helpful
on 21 July 2015
Every person of African descent needs this book in their library along with How Europe Underdeveloped Africa. Read it over and over and over again. The more times you read them, the wiser you become.
Woodson had a quote that went something like ... A person has two kinds of education. One you get at school and the other you give yourself
Very badly paraphrased I know
3 people found this helpful
on 20 February 2016
Very good book, I like how the author recommends us blacks to learn a trade in order to compete with the white man. Some parts a bit boring but the little value I gained from the book was life changing.
2 people found this helpful
on 9 April 2016
Makes me sick that this was used to break us as a family. But good to know that it was done to help undoing the damage with my immediate family. Material things like clothes etc.. Are not wealth we need to unlearn all the things of the past.
One person found this helpful
on 25 October 2013
I will recommend this book to be read by all black people. We need to rise up and unite and learn to do things for ourselves as the author said. like a prevoius reviewer had noted,, it a shame that 75% of what is in the book still exists. Black people , we can turn things around and we can, with a positive mindset and turn things around from a brainwashed state.
One person found this helpful
on 2 April 2018
This book is a very, real story about the education or lack of education. Very open and honest.
on 26 November 2015
Extremely important book for Africans in the diaspora and on the African continent.
2 people found this helpful
on 16 April 2018
Great educational read
on 3 April 2018
Good read alot of good info