Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 June 2017
Came early & I found it was really well written & informative .
on 8 September 2015
Haven't started it yet but I feel sure it 'll be of much value when I return to it. P/P fine.
on 3 February 2012
You often hear people say I couldn't put a novel down, I'd say the same about this book. Its exceptionally well written and you can literally open any page and read something interesting and useful. Its inspired me to try and sharpen all my old tools which haven't been well cared for over the years. I started on a couple of chisels and in minutes they are much improved, no more throwaway tools for me.
on 7 November 2014
I've read a number of books about sharpening and this rates as the best by far. Ron Hock writes with humour about a subject which could be rather dull to those with only a fringe interest in sharpening. His approach is open-minded, logical and informative giving explanations of the metallurgy of blades, how they cut, how to sharpen them and equipment to use. I understood more about metallurgy from this book than any university lectures I attended, such was the quality of his writing. I recommend purchase of this out-of-print book before stocks disappear.
on 14 April 2010
Everything I needed to know about sharpening tools and a lot more besides. If I can't manage to keep my tools sharp after reading this, it's not the fault of the author!
on 6 May 2012
This book has been very useful. Covering all aspects of obtaining a sharp edge on all tools. Now it is possible to use tools as they were designed to be used. A very worthwhile book for the workshop. It will be frequently used.
on 7 March 2013
No need to ponder, it's the best available on the subject, it's the best investment you'll make as a woodworker, tool user, tool maker, cook, etc...
on 13 April 2014
This is a very good book and describes most sharpening techniques except for woodcarving chisels where it recommends another book by Chris Pye.
I wish I had known this before prchase.
on 24 December 2012
This book covers everything I am likely to need with regard to sharpening my tools and knives. It is a very well produced book with excellent photographs to support the text.
on 1 June 2016
never knew sharpening an edge was such a science! this book covers it all in great depth, huge resource of information and photos, great.