on 11 November 2017
I bought this book a couple of years ago when exploring the ideas of wabi-sabi and have just re-visited it. Serena's opening premise of " finding inspiration and beauty in the ordinary" is good but I am afraid that, for me, the materials she chose to use were far from the ordinary or simple things I have regularly in my art box or home. I do not have several shades of re- inkers, rubbing alcohol, cold wax medium, Micaecious Iron Oxide acrylic paint, etc etc. There are some simple items along with the acrylic paints, gel medium, glaze medium and so on such as paper towels, tissues paper, coffee granules and some of the finished work looked interesting but I fancy the book will return to the bottom of the pile.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 4 October 2013
A bit breathless and new agey for me; the book recommends that for inspiration I should try "stroking the wrinkled face of an elder".

Could be a useful book for someone new to art as it has step by step guides to creating works, some rather good, some abysmal (such as old buttons and dolls stuck to canvases). Happy accidents indeed.
11 Comment| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 14 November 2013
It was a bit too way out for me in the practice of it, but could relate to the theory. I now can look at things from a different angle now, perhaps that is what the book was intending to do. Most of the samples were based on encaustic paint, which means buying a whole selection of another media. But I will certainly use some of the ideas in my own work with the media and techniques I have.
on 16 October 2015
I've heard the term Wabi-Sabi before but I never knew what it actually was
I found the book interesting but very samey none of the projects grabbed and for a concept that is supposed to be spontaneous they seem very involved
I really don't like colour palette used either
All in all I learned a few things but I'm not sure ill be trying any of the projects in the book
Also it's as big preachy and spiritual for me , I think I would have enjoyed it more if it had been as bit lighter
on 20 October 2013
Great for those who wish to experiment in creating texture in their work.

The illustrations are inspirational and at the same time the book is a comprehensive 'how to' manual for both the beginner and the experienced artist who wishes to branch out into other methods of experimentation.
on 10 May 2014
This is just another mixed media techniques book of which there are an abundance I was looking for more wabi sabi
VINE VOICEon 10 May 2014
This is an interesting book. I wasn't quite sure what to expect from it as I have only recently come across the wabi-sabi idea. It can be a little bit 'precious' in places but I think it is interesting to go through and I am glad I bought it and will doubtless turn to it now and again for the various techniques and ideas it contains. Don't expect deep and meaningful though.
on 20 September 2013
A bit too American biased in my opinion, but gives the reader new ideas that may not have been thought of before.
on 8 February 2015
This book is interesting, but quite difficult to work with, because it keeps closing when working though a technique. Having said that have had some interesting results.
on 6 May 2015
Its a nice book but I'm not sure how Wabi-Sabi it is? I'd need to study it and the meaning of WS further.