Format: Paperback|Change

on 31 August 2011
An excellent book with clear instructions and ideas for many ordinary products and some less common ones. The layout and examples are clear with many alternative experiments and ways to extend ideas. The gallery shots of artists work are inspirational. Generally a well laid out book with clear instruction and beutifully photographed examples; well worth the money
on 29 March 2012
This book does indeed contain what it says on the tin, in that it shows quite a number of surface treatment techniques and a range of effects that you can get with each. One big advantage is that it indicates the archival properties of the techniques, the only such book I've come across that does this. I've so far been a bit reluctant to play with different chemical mixtures (such as soaps and foams) for this reason. A substantial disadvantage of this book is that a lot of the techniques require specific art products from specific manufacturers that may be easily available in the US, but aren't that ubiquitous (nor very cheap!) here. Also, what "fibre paste", "ceramic stucco", "Tyvek" or "Venetian plaster" exactly are is explained nowhere. It may be obvious for US readers, but it's not clear to me. Only some of these things have (American...) suppliers in the resources section. Having said that, there are also techniques using the widely available water, cooking salt, alcohol, etc...! All in all, it's a nice book that may inspire me to experiment with what could possibly be equivalents to these unknown American things. I have used salt, alcohol, etc. in my paintings before, and so it's not all new to me, but for someone who is entirely new to this kind of painting the instructions in the book are maybe a little bit on the short side. On the other hand, keeping the instructions short is probably in keeping with the experimental approach.
22 comments| 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 September 2011
If I coould only keep one of my (oh, so many...)painting books, THIS WOULD BE IT! It shows you all the techniques step by step, and also shows you a bunch of different ways to use every single technique, love it, love it, love it! Into mixed media? Go get it!
on 3 June 2011
This book is the best thing since sliced bread. Lots of ideas and techniques. All this lovely information in one publication. A delight for designers and artists alike. Such good value. The best book in my collection (Until I write mine of course) !!!
on 6 July 2012
Extremley helpful step by step instructions that make it very easy to follow and even has tips for when a technique doesn't turn out quite right. A really useful book for all textile artists at every ability. For all those stuck for uk suppliers of some of the materials used try uk websites like - nid-noi.com and rainbowsilks.co.uk
on 27 December 2011
This is one of those books for people who have the time or not to try all 45 workshops.
It is well written with plenty of tips and practical step-by-step guidance.
A must for all who 'dabble' in Mixed Media.
on 4 January 2012
Looks attractive and techniques are well explained with great exemplar material but the probs for a Brit buyer/audience are the names of lots of the materials and stockists don't travel well - eg - they keep mentioning gel medium for the transfer of photos but what kind????
on 4 May 2015
When I first opened this book I felt extremely disappointing and frustrated feeling like I've wasted money on a publication for sunday painters. Fortunately the only bad and amateurish thing about this book are the pictures and I mean ALL of them. The actual text content is very good as each page shows different technique, required supplies and examples of different methods used for different effects. Some interesting mediums include venetian plaster, drawing ground, bleach pen or pouring medium. This is a very good book if you can visualise YOUR own way of using these techniques instead of copying the style of a multicoloured vomit (sorry I absoloutely hate this style) with (poorly) painted objects. This would be an excellent book if not the super uninspiring pictures (all in same boring style)
on 13 March 2016
What a super book! I am by nature an experiment an experimental mixed media artist and am also on the look out for ideas which could be adapted for use in workshops for people with mental ill health. ( i.e. people lacking confidence and afraid of it 'going wrong. or not looking 'right') from the very first glance and looking through directions/recipes I was excited by the potential 'to play'. An interesting surface can be cut up to make collages , background for printing or designs in a workshop, and give great satisfaction. There are reviews complaining about the American bias so it's not possible to work out the ingredients of some examples, and I will try googling items before I dismiss particular experiments, but the philosophy is clear - have a go and experiment. Troubleshooting notes will steer you if it the result as you would like. I would say 'never throw any of these away, as they might be just what you are looking for, in the future! Not sure why I waited so long to buy it, just looking at it makes me excited and say 'What could I do with .
that?!' If you think I might have the same approach to art as I do, I am sure you will find it a good purchase.
on 16 September 2012
A very well laid out book full of ideas and suggestions. A little bit too American in places in relation to products, but still an excellent resource for any mixed medai artist.