on 16 December 2010
This is one of those books with a bit of a learning curve for me as I've never knitted gloves or mittens by making the thumb or fingers first, then knitting from the finger end to the cuff, and so far I haven't knitted flip top gloves/mittens either.
If you have never done Fair Isle or Norwegian style knitting, and don't mind knitting on circular or double pointed sets of needles with 4ply thickness yarn then this is a good book to start with.
The book gives a basic pattern for each style, for instance all the mittens are made in the same way with the same number of stitches throughout, what changes is the design. In all cases you follow the chosen chart, along with written instructions on what to do when.
If you've never made any mittens or gloves before then you may find it helpful to follow the written instuctions and ignore the chart for the first pair. Once you have the idea, then decide which chart you like and go for it.
Most items in here can be made with any 4 ply you wish, yarn sources given are Canada and USA (internet sites given) except for Jamiesons wonderful Shetland wool.
Contents are chullos, tams, ski hats, gloves, mittens,and flip tops, all with birds, ducks, snowflakes, griffin, trees and an option to mix and match the motifs. All the charts are in colour which I find makes them easier to follow. Once I stock up on Jamiesons I'll be giving plenty of these designs a test run - if I hit any problems you'll be first to know.
22 Comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 12 September 2011
As a novice knitter (having been an avid crocheter for most of my life) I was keen to try a knitting project that would stretch me but that was small enough that I could hopefully finish a project in a more reasonable amount of time than it was taking me to finish other knitting projects (yes I am super slow!). I had come across knitting in the round a few months ago and having finally got the hang of it now prefer it to normal knitting as I find the weight of work on normal needles (having been used to a lightweight crochet hook) a bit tiring and working in the round is more familiar to me being a crocheter. However, I couldn't find many books that had nice dpn patterns until I came across Colorwork Creations when looking for a mitten book on Amazon. At first I was worried that the patterns were going to be too difficult, they were just so beautiful and intricate and made me realise how limited my knitting abilities were but I really really wanted a pair of the chickadee mittens! So I decided I would admire the patterns but for now concentrate on knitting a plain mitten from the instructions to get the hang of it, but having only completed the thumb thought that wasn't so difficult so perhaps I could try the chickadee pattern and now, half way through my first pair of mittens am absolutely hooked and amazed at the results! The pattern is much simpler than I imagined and easy to follow (but probably not for a true beginner unfamiliar with knitting on dpns) and I am so glad I bought this book and gave the mittens a go despite my initial trepidation. The book really is inspirational with beautiful photographs and clear instructions and patterns and I highly recommend this book to anyone looking to create beautiful winter gloves, hats and mittens. I can't wait to try making the matching chickadee hat next!
on 1 January 2015
Was NOT the full version of the book as advertised, so I was VERY disappointed, Be aware before you buy this of you are expecting the book Colorwork Crations. I had to buy the full version as well - actual book, not kindle.
Would be OK if you just wanted to look at how go about creating gloves/mittens but it is very wordy, lots of writing and descriptions to wade through before you can start to knit.
on 7 May 2017
Lovely book containing some interesting patterns for fair isle knitted gloves, hats mittens etc. I made some mittens which turned out well.
on 14 July 2013
Lots of ideas here, but I would have preferred more yarn options. The patterns are mostly knitted in yarns that are not so easily obtainable in the UK. It is sock yarn, but very fine with a tension stated that does not match most easy to obtain yarns. The patterns for gloves look quite challenging too, knitted from the fingers first. The hats are lovely though, and I plan to knit some soon.
on 19 June 2013
You do need to be experienced at using patterns as this book is quite limited in instructions and there is a lot of flicking between patterns if you wish to deviate from the printed hat /glove/ mitt pattern. However the patterns are lovely, with a nice choice of different styles of hats/ gloves /mitts for each and charts are easy to interpret. So worth the extra work to follow the pattern of your choice I think.
on 4 April 2016
I had assumed this was a full book so disappointed that it is so short. Full price given as fifteen pounds- I would have been VERYdisappointed if I had paid that for so few patterns. Wish I had read all reviews before buying
on 27 May 2015
Takes a bit to get into how the pattern is done but once you have grasped that then these are great patterns. I am trying out one at present and can see me doing lots from this book.
on 29 August 2015
A very nice book with lots of illustrations and clear instructions, i am looking forward to making these mittens for my family this year.
on 20 October 2014
Excellent book. Very happy with it.