Customer reviews

Format: Library Binding|Change

on 30 April 2017
This book opens with Ellie unexpectedly witnessing the death of her husband in a car accident. Reeling from this and coming to terms with evidence he was cheating on her, Ellie must face the fact she doesn't know him as well as she thought she did. Then she meets Luca, a Romanian who she asks to help work on her property. But a stranger in a small village faces small minds and idle gossip.
I loved the premise, the story and the writing. Eloquent prose and a beautiful story. I also loved the backdrop of the refugee crisis and what people are suffering. The Stranger is a study of grief and love, and understanding that you don't have to know somebody to know they are inherently good.
on 21 August 2017
I nearly gave up on this book half way through because like one of the other reviewers I felt the tone was far too preachy . But I was Intrigued so carried on reading in the vain hope the author may calm down her own political views (after all this is supposed to be a novel not a political diatribe ) but no the tone became more not less annoying . The main character seems to despise everyone in the village in which she lives and wants to tar all the indigenous inhabitants with the same xenophobic brush. At the same time all the migrants are viewed as good and blameless. This is a very simplistic view . People trafficking is a Truly despicable crime and anyone who exploits vulnerable human beings is vile . But the people who first use and exploit migrants are often their own countrymen by either promising (falsely ) a better life in another country and extort large sums of money to smuggle them or even kidnapping people . Oh dear now I'm preaching (it must be catching) but then I'm only reviewing a novel not writing one!.
on 7 July 2017
To be honest I only read this because it was in one of those newspaper "must read" lists and I was looking for so effing out of the usual from my normal reading. I am glad that I did read it and persist with it though I nearly have up early on. It is oddly gripping but you kind of know where it is heading. The philosophical arguments have certainly been covered elsewhere since if not before. It is slightly farcical but not funny. Perhaps depressing. I am not sure you can earn to the central character even if you can identify in some way with him. But for all that I did enjoy it.
on 2 August 2017
I'm not surprised that Richard and Judy chose this as one of their reads. It is a story topical of our time with characters with many different facets to them. There are surprising twists and turns right through to the last page.
on 2 May 2017
A book that could not be put down . I have read this book over the weekend and was unable to stop reading. Well written and great story.
on 15 July 2017
Right up to date politically and beautifully written. Imagery and poetic language so refreshing this novel is a lovely treat.
on 1 June 2017
Excellent book and a page turner if a little unbelievable at times. I enjoyed it very much.
on 29 June 2017
I thought it was a good read
An honest story
I felt moved by it
I couldn't put it down
on 27 June 2017
So many red herring and twists. I read it in three sittings and enjoyed it thoroughly. Will read more by this writer.
on 25 July 2017
fantastic read great quick delivery