Customer reviews

Format: Library Binding|Change

on 30 April 2017
This book opens with Ellie unexpectedly witnessing the death of her husband in a car accident. Reeling from this and coming to terms with evidence he was cheating on her, Ellie must face the fact she doesn't know him as well as she thought she did. Then she meets Luca, a Romanian who she asks to help work on her property. But a stranger in a small village faces small minds and idle gossip.
I loved the premise, the story and the writing. Eloquent prose and a beautiful story. I also loved the backdrop of the refugee crisis and what people are suffering. The Stranger is a study of grief and love, and understanding that you don't have to know somebody to know they are inherently good.
on 4 June 2017
This novel combines a powerful love story with what amounts to a moving appeal to basic human decency in dealing with the ongoing refugee problem arising from the turmoil in the Middle East and in our attitude to immigrants generally. Like Ms Sarginson's other books it is not only unputdownable, but also eminently rereadable. Her drawing of characters is masterly: the diffident but courageous protagonist Ellie, the plausible but evil and manipulative David, and the laconic but sterling Luca, the Romanian immigrant who wins Ellie's trust and love.
Well worth reading.
on 7 July 2017
To be honest I only read this because it was in one of those newspaper "must read" lists and I was looking for so effing out of the usual from my normal reading. I am glad that I did read it and persist with it though I nearly have up early on. It is oddly gripping but you kind of know where it is heading. The philosophical arguments have certainly been covered elsewhere since if not before. It is slightly farcical but not funny. Perhaps depressing. I am not sure you can earn to the central character even if you can identify in some way with him. But for all that I did enjoy it.
on 2 May 2017
A book that could not be put down . I have read this book over the weekend and was unable to stop reading. Well written and great story.
on 15 July 2017
Right up to date politically and beautifully written. Imagery and poetic language so refreshing this novel is a lovely treat.
on 1 June 2017
Excellent book and a page turner if a little unbelievable at times. I enjoyed it very much.
on 29 June 2017
I thought it was a good read
An honest story
I felt moved by it
I couldn't put it down
on 25 July 2017
fantastic read great quick delivery
on 25 June 2017
Fascinating insight into the question of whether atheism/humanism requires the abandonment of hope and meaning. Less relevant today in our more secular society, but resonates nonetheless.
on 27 June 2017
So many red herring and twists. I read it in three sittings and enjoyed it thoroughly. Will read more by this writer.