on 22 August 2017
Very descriptive lacks pictures
on 3 October 2017
Didn't realise I was going to receive such an old edition. It's not even the same as the one shown here. Still useful.
on 20 September 2017
Very helpful book
on 1 August 2010
The book contains many useful facts but some of them are applicable only to the USA. Also the book is written in a very patronising style which I find very annoying. The book says in a 1000 words what could be said in 100.
on 18 February 2017
Not what I expected. There are no photos in the book, just a few boring black and white illustrations. The book may be informative but visually very unappealing.
on 5 March 2017
Comprehensive guide to the first year
on 26 February 2010
As a new dad I spent hours on the 'net reading the advice for Fathers to be and to be honest I was wondering what most Fathers to be are thinking about. What I needed was very practical, day to day advice on the things I will actually have to do. I'm not concerned about not going to the pub, that's pretty much a given when you have a child :) What I wanted to know is what to do with a nappy, how to bathe a child, how to carry a baby etc etc. This is not stuff Dads just know and you need the help.

This book has all that and more. Every month of the first year is presented in a really pleasing format. Each chapter starting with what your babay probably will be doing, could be doing and might be doing at a stretch. You know, you need that kind of thing because if you're like me, you have no idea what is 'normal' for a baby and what not.
The chapter then goes in to more details on the kind of things you will need to do in each month with diagrams, step by step instructions and, crucial for someone like me, why you or the baby are doing this :) Makes understanding what you are doing so much easier.

There are sections dealing with some of the more unpleasant possibilities which I hope are never needed but they are there for if problems arise. The sections on baby health issues are packed with the symptoms of all sorts of things serious, and not so serious, you might encounter and how to stock your Baby's medicine cabinet.

First time parents will get a whole deal of help from this book and it will sit within easy reach for reference before and after each month. If you are planning books to help you when the new guy or gal is born this should be in your library.

Good luck with the new arrivals to everyone :)
on 19 May 2004
This would be a great reference book were it not for the index, which consistently directs the reader to the wrong page. This is extremely frustrating at times. The content, however, is very informative and comprehensive.
I bought this book on the back of owning "What to Expect When You're Expecting", which was my pregnancy bible. As a first-time mum, I've found the book equally as invaluable. As well as the twelve chapters on what to expect month by month, there are excellent sections on baby health, ailments, first aid, baby care, breastfeeding, diet (for baby and mum), and fatherhood.
on 16 August 2017
I don't like some of the advice in this book - for the newborn section... things like don't leave your baby for a second. as a new mum, that made me panic and I couldn't get a thing done around the house, let alone look after myself! But that's me... gave it away to a friend
on 20 January 2008
Before my daughter was born I decided that I didn't need a book on what to expect as I'd just go and search for answers on the internet when I needed them. When my Mum found out I didn't have any books on life with a baby she offered to buy me one and I decided that I'd go for this one.

I have found this book awesome! Trying to go on the internet when you have a question or concern about your baby has proved virtually impossible for me as it normally leads to my baby screaming for attention. Within a couple of weeks my husband & I both got a stomach bug and in minutes in the middle of the night I was able to find out that I was ok to carry on breastfeeding..my computer would still have been loading up!

Another positive is that the book has obviously been well researched. The book is laid out with monthly developments covering relevant topics that month such as weaning, colic, bedtime & bathing baby. Virtually every question I can think of has been covered. Its also nice to have the reassurance of a properly endorsed book rather than random advice from the internet.

What could make this book better? I'm quite a visual person so a few more pictures would be good, black and white would be fine but colour even better. Content wise, Ican't think of anything that could be added.