on 6 May 2017
Bought this for my son as I loved it as a kid. Was delighted that he raced through it and wanted the next in the series.
on 27 November 2014
I hadn't read these for years, having recommended them to my Key Stage 3 students from about 1980 onwards for several years. They have been rather forgotten in more recent days, but are every bit as engaging as the more recent novels for young people. In some ways they are more accessible than some because none of them is over long, so for readers unused to the considerable length of the latter parts of the HP series, for example, these are much more accessible.
on 27 March 2012
As per the title - if you have come here looking for the book after watching the film then please please please do this first: FORGET YOU EVER WATCHED IT!!

I have read this series of books a myriad of times after being introduced during primary school. I can still remember the sense of awe and wonderment in several of the scenes across the entire quintet of novels.

Even many many years later I can pick this up and blast my way through them in a matter of days. True, to my now experienced eyes they can read as slightly dated (especially OSOS), that said the story and experience is as strong and emotional as ever.

There are several themes visited across the series of which I am not going to ruin for the uninitiated. My personal favourites lie in the menance and build up of "The Dark is Rising" and the raw emotional anquish of feeling in "The Grey King".

So give it a shot and as I said at the start - remove all visage of the film before reading - or just don't bother with it in the first place ;-)
on 5 June 2014
I first read this in the early 1970s and enjoyed it immensely. Since then I have seen the movie which I didn't like at all and was sure didn't properly match the story...and it doesn't. The book is far, far better and I recommend it highly. So glad to have read it again. I have now bought the second in the series and am looking forward to that
on 14 September 2013
The film, a desperate attempt at cashing in on the Potter phenomenon, managed to almost completely miss the point of the book. The book is a brilliantly written story, that can be read as a stand alone book, or as part of a sequence of five. I first read this book as an 11 year old, and returned to it for my niece and nephews. They love it as much as I did.
on 30 December 2012
I read these when I was in primary school 30+ years ago and wanted my daughters to read them too, but never seemed to see them in any bookshops. So I was delighted to find them altogether in a box set on Amazon - really special thanks. I think they are suitable for ages 8 - 14, depending on the child of course. One of the books was made in to a film "The Seeker" (I think) - it was hopeless - don't let that put you off - these stories have stayed with me ever since I read them.
on 9 August 2017
Great.
on 18 May 2013
I love this book. I first saw it many years ago when my son brought it home from school. I've been trying to get a copy for some time and at last I have. I've given it to my grandson so that's 3 generations now.
on 24 November 2001
I read this fifteen years ago and still catch myself re-reading it every few years. It is enthralling, and magical. The characters do come to life and the magic is bound up with the places and times of our essential Britishness. There is the countryside, the closed village mentality, the rugged Cornwall coast, a snowed in Christmas, a mysterious evil lurking force, the ineffectuality of adults so that children have the real power and experience the true perils. It is a coming of age series with a difference, like Harry Potter but with more atmosphere it hints at the secret world that exists alongside the normal everyday world. Read it and then read it again, enjoy.
on 7 September 2007
Some authors really have a way of weaving landscape, legend, and fantasy together. Susan Cooper is one. I did not read these stories as a child, but instead found them at the age of 32, and am I glad I did! What a wonderful journey...
The Dark is Rising sequence will join the pantheon of stories I will read with my children when they are old enough.