Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 13 April 2013
I bought this book because the inside preview showed it was written in the first person, which is my favourite style, and seemed to have an unusual storyline which sounded promising.

Big mistake. The storyline is unusual but I found it very boring. The "heroine" is a totally unlikeable drunk, who has a great lover but humiliates herself pining over the last one who turns up in the story as a changed character from the one she knew .. who apparently was great fun but is now an uptight pain. (My words not the heroine's!)

The story itself never managed to engage me, and I was put off by various unneccessary vulgarities .. no, I'm not prudish, I just don't see why e.g., telling another character that you want to get rid of that you have to "take a dump" should be considered attractive.

Buy it if you like the sound of the other reviews, I'm obviously in a minority disliking it so much, but if at the end you share my opinion, don't say you weren't warned!
on 14 August 2011
Dead On The Delta is the first UF book in a series by Stacy Jay and features 28 year old med school drop out Annabelle Lee who lives in a town called Donaldsonville in Louisiana and works for Fairy Containment and Control. She is a troubled woman who has had a difficult life. She is also an alcoholic who can't sleep at night without popping her sleeping pills. Annabelle lives in a world where faeries exist, not your average faerie but mutated killer faeries that live on human blood. There is also a new drug called Breeze which is doing the rounds that is made from faerie poo and bleach. If a faerie bites you and you are allergic to the venom you will either die immediately or go insane with eventual death in the next few years. However some people like Annabelle are immune to the faerie venom, it is these immune people who work the areas infested by the mutated faeries, collecting samples or helping police with crime scenes. It is an area like this where Annabelle finds herself collecting evidence from the half eaten body of 6 year old Grace Beauchamp for the police and her detective boyfriend Cane. The murder of Grace and newly found Breeze houses in Donaldsonville bring the FBI to town and Annabelle finds herself in the middle of the action whilst confronting the ex love of her life Hitch.

I so loved this book. It was quite different from the usual UF, Annabelle was not a kick ass heroine, none of the humans had any special powers and the fae were the only supernatural creatures in the book. Ms Jay did a great unusual take on the fae which I really enjoyed. Annabelle comes across as a normal human being who shows her fear to us in daunting situations. I immediately felt that I could connect with Annabelle, she has difficulties, an addiction and constantly puts herself down thinking that she is not good enough and she doesn't understand why other people would care for her. But even though she messes up at her job and life in general she is very kind hearted and she wants to try and make her life better. There is one scene in the book where she is arguing with her ex-boyfriend Hitch where I could totally feel her pain and I just wanted to reach into the pages and give her a hug. It seemed that not a lot happened in the story even though there was a murder and drug crimes to solve, I think this is down to there not being any big fight scenes with guns and katanas.

I really like Ms Jay's style of writing she creates a vivid picture where I could easily imagine myself being, I couldn't put the book down. Saying that it was not a book that I rushed, I did savour it. This is a book that has some unexpected turns that I look forward to reading in the next book. It also kept me guessing right until the end. I would like to give this book 5 stars, and if you read it I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. The next book in the series Blood On The Bayou is out sometime next year and is already on my book list.
I'm in two halves about DEAD ON THE DELTA; I love the world settings, the murder mystery and the drug ring aspect. But do we have to spend so long focusing on the female lead's love life - especially since it's so messed up mainly because of her own actions and in-actions? want to read a UF, not some supernatural soap-opera...

I've got very little sympathy for the lead in most of the scenarios, because I'm a very right and wrong, treat-others-as-you-want-to-be-treated person - I just ended up frustrated at her thoughtlessness and blatent selfishness, which is displayed many times. I'm not sure if/when I'll read book two, as the lead was offputting for me.

***

This is a common problem for me in most new urban fantasy reads; if the book has a female lead, then the authors automatically assume we all want to read about their love live. No. Just No. I'll read a romance if I want romance, when I want urban fantasy I just want to read fantsy in an urban setting.
on 17 April 2013
this is the first Stacey Jay book I have read and the first in the series. i was expecting it to be more of a build up with perhaps too much information setting the seen for the series, as many first books do. Boy was I wrong!!!
this is a story in itself!! the story is fast paced from the get go and I was practically inhaling the words from the page!!!
the world the author has created is highly creative and unusual. its a better read than it sounded with the whole killer fairies and all!
the characters are great and even though this is written in the first person & only from a single characters view, I felt like I got a good understanding and feel for the other characters, which books written like this can lack.
I loved the lead character Annabelle. she has so many things that are wrong with her, such as loving a bit too much booze and not always being the most sympathetic person, but for me that only made her more likeable. she not your run of the mill miss nice girl which is a refreshing change.
there is a complex love triangle in this book but even though it plays a good part within the story its not overly mushy or takes away from the rest of the plot. its definitely not the most romantic of love triangles where I would normally wish it was I who had more than one of the men after me!!!however, it is interesting and remains unresolved at the end of the book.
overall this book is highly creative and brings something fresh to the urban fantasy genre!!!i would without a doubt recommend this book. it really is even better than it sounds. we see the set up for another story at the end of the book, so I am glad to have already ordered the second book "Blood on the Bayou", where others who have read this book earlier have had to wait quite a while. now if mr postman will only hurry up so I can get my next fix of the series! :)
on 7 February 2013
It started with a fairly standard crime scene, and at first glance Annabelle seemed a sloppy, careless drunk. Not something i enjoyed watching. This continued, with a few interesting flashes of wit and humour for nearly half the book. I got rather tired of Annabelle's self pity and alcoholism, but... It slowly grew on me. The plot developed in unexpected and promising ways. There were incidents of deep affection, kindness and courage. The snarky humour deepened and developed a kind of self depreciating brilliance. There was no pink fluffiness or brooding teen idol figures. When it came to it, Annabelle had more than enough backbone to survive.

I'd prefer to give it 4.75 stars (can't quite forgive the slow, self pitying start), but I've already bought book 2, and am looking forward to starting it tomorrow.
on 28 May 2012
So, fairies mutated (stay with me) into horrid evil little blood suckers, and for most humans a bite is fatal. There are some who are immune, and our Annabel is one of them. So many urban fantasies have a messed up heroine, but Annabel really is messed up and believably so; she's an alcoholic drug addict. She's rude, feisty and obnoxious to the point where you wonder why so many people like her! But she's got a heart and it's a good one. The story is about a murder, a current boyfriend and an ex-boyfriend and Annabel's family. She's trying to help solve a murder and I've got to be honest it gets a bit weird in some parts but Annabel is so engaging that I stuck with her & was really glad I did.

A worthwhile addition to your urban fantasy bookshelf if you like the weird, wonderful and sarcastic.
on 5 March 2012
[...]

I loved this book so much I stayed up till like 3am reading this! Whilst I was reading it, it really reminded me of Stacia Kane's 'Downside Ghosts' series, but better. The protagonist was not some kick-ass heroine who can do no wrong like we normally find in a UF book, Annabelle had insecurities and she'd had traumatizing experiences just like normal people, which made her so much more believable. I actually loved her! I also really liked the two love interests. On the one hand there was Cane, the sweet guy who is good for her. On the other hand was Hitch, the guy whose heart she previously broke but never really got over. As much as I like Cane, I'm firmly team Hitch!! I'm really glad I read this as it's hard to find a good UF book and I already can wait for 'Blood On The Bayou.'
on 30 June 2011
I bought this book after seeing it recommended by an author I love....and I wasn't disappointed. The product description gives you the general story, but what made me instantly rush to see if book 2 was a) planned (yes) and b) available to pre-order (not yet) was the way the story pulled me in and made me care about the characters - oh yes, and there's plenty of peril and heart in your throat stuff too - the only danger is severe tiredness owing to the "just one more chapter" syndrome!

Can't wait til book 2 - so am currently working my way through Stacey's young adult back catalogue and enjoying every page!
on 19 October 2011
As I had not read this author before I was pleased to find that I could not let go of this story. A good read. Every so often a book comes along so different from what you normally read and you get involved from the first sentence. There was a touch of wry humour, bitter sadness and despair,Magic, dysfunctional characters but the main character really wanted to make a difference and to fight for what was right despite all the hangups. Would I read the next in the series then yes I would.
on 22 February 2012
I bought this book on spec when it showed up in the ~ other people bought this section.

This can always be a bit hit and miss but in this case I was very impressed bothered was good characterisation and e world that the author has created interesting and takes a bit of a different view on post apocalyptic worlds.

While the book has a strong female lead she, unlike many female leads is not necessarily someone you would like. Whole you have sympathy for plight you also have to wonder wheth you actually like her.

There are some interesting twists and turns in this book and I am looking forward to the next in the series - where hopefully we will see the world and it's characters evolve