Customer reviews

on 2 June 2015
I've no doubt this book will prove an invaluable resource, but the actual quality of the book is terrible. The pages are wafer thin and the whole book could do with being about 50% larger in size. Can't see it lasting very long.
on 9 February 2014
Dr Spock's Baby and Child Care is a great book, but this applies only to the versions written by Dr Spock himself.

Sadly, since he died in 1998 the publishers have used his name as a brand for many books that were not written by him. You might think that this book would be different, seen as Benjamin Spock is listed as its author, but it isn't. The book has been extensively rewritten in such a way that almost everything good about the old versions has been lost.

The beauty of Dr Spock's own version of the book is that speaks sensitively and helpfully about both the emotional and the practical aspects of being a parent. It integrates the two, which is a rare thing. What has happened since is that the book has been rewritten by medical doctors who lack Spock's psychological training. As a result, the later editions focus far too much on giving factual advice. They are crammed full of facts and information (this edition is more than twice the length of the earlier ones), and have been stripped of the wonderfully thoughtful passages that made the original great.

My advice is to get a used copy of the book published before 1998 (when Spock died) - I bought the 7th edition. Later editions do not live up to the book's reputation, but the earlier ones really do and are worth 5 stars!
on 26 October 2008
Good old Dr Spock. He is the best. He knows that at heart we all want to raise civil, friendly, happy, confident children, and he shows us how to steer things so we get one. His descriptions of children at different ages and stages - in all their individuality and difference - is spot on. He is so SENSIBLE, and yet he understands the worries of mothers better than any other writer about baby and child care. (Yes! I know he's dead.) It's just that common sense and kindness and generosity of spirit live on in new editions. Don't try to raise a child without a copy. That is my advice.
22 Comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 February 2014

on 23 August 2013
I HAD THIS BOOK WHEN I HAD MY BOYS, AND IT WAS A VERY USEFUL GUIDE. I HAVE THEN BOUGHT ONE EACH FOR MY THREE SONS, NOW THEY HAVE CHILDREN OF THEIR OWN, AND THEY TOO HAVE FOUND IT GOOD TO REFER TO, MAY TIMES.
on 15 December 2012
I bought this book 50 years ago as a young, new mother and found it gave me the confidence to solve my own problems regarding bringing up my daughter. I shall always be grateful for the advice and insight into the mind of my own little monkey's scheming mind. As a result I bought this copy as a gift for a new father of twins who I thought could do with the same down to earth advice. He tells me that it has proven the same brilliant support for him and his wife. I would recommend it to anyone who has no experience of babies and children. After all we all need to be one step ahead of these people who are much more clever than their parents.
on 20 January 2010
To read a book how to raise a child is not the same thing as learning to drive a car, but it's time well spent! Dr Spock gives commonsense advise that you at 04 o'clock in the morning may not think of when your child is crying his eyes out for "no reason". For us it was like having mum, mother in-law and Grandma in the bookshelf, ready to give us advise when we needed it most. No question is too small for Dr Spock, and the answers are not condescending, patronising nor make you feel like a useless parent.

Unlike many other books we have looked at, Dr Spock's old (fashion?) device are still very much up to date. There are not "You have to do it EXCACTLY like this or..." or telling you how to stick to a regime "so that you don't spoil your child", bar from maybe understand the important of routines. But questions from how to cut nails, no poo nappies for some time/to too many poo nappies to the Big Issue: Baby don't sleep through the night are all there.

With Dr Spock you are armed with confidence and you can concentrate on just enjoying your child and deal with what may come -if it ever happens!

/P&O
on 2 November 2008
I bought this for my daughter as I used Dr Spock as my "bible" when bringing up my own children. However, I have to say this is not as good as the original one and some of the sections are not very easy to follow or as informative as I thought they would be. I know childcare has changed over the years, but some of the information in here is quite sketchy and we have found the internet to be more useful than the book. It is handy as a reference book for first time parents but I am sure there are more useful books out there.
on 19 March 2010
I bought this book, which was my bible many years ago, for my daughter-in-law who says it is so full of common sense and wisdom that she cannot envisage life without it.
on 22 October 2007
This book is excellent! My daughter is now 7 months old, I wish that I had read it before she was born, that way I would have known how to help her colic. This book offers expert medical advice in a friendly and understanding manner, and is widely encompassing. Highly recommended!