on 9 February 2012
As a huge fan of CBK and a moderate fan of JFK Jnr I couldn't wait for this book to come out. So little is available to read about CBK that we haven't all heard before so the thought of someone on the 'inside' revealing fresh information was very appealing. WRONG. Never has the phrase 'don't judge a book by its cover' been more apt because the cover of this book is tremendous - a great photograph of the two of them - and the inside of the book is utter dirge - revealing very little about the two of them. Oh we get to find out what John was like to work with. (Tetchy sometimes, apparently. What a scoop). The author really did feel like she was 'in' with the in crowd. She also claims she 'chose' not to go to their wedding. Nearly laughed up my spleen when I read that bit. Sorry Rosie - you disappointed hugely with this book. If you were as in the know as you claim, and if you were prepared to sacrifice your integrity to write this book, then I'm sure you could have come up with something of far more substance. You prattle on more about yourself, your boyfriend, your hair, your mother - than you do about the SUBJECTS IN QUESTION. Oh, and by the way, pink suit and white shoes to the George launch? Sounds hideous love. My copy of this book is already on eBay if anyone's interested. All reasonable offers considered. Actually scrap that. I'll pay you to take it off my hands.
33 Comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 March 2012
I enjoyed this more than I expected. It is a quick superficial read. It is about the authors "fairy tale" of getting to work with John Kennedy and there is a bit of that Paul Burrell thing where the employee gets pulled in by the reflected glamour. However whilst she may overegg a little her part in it she is completely honest about the times she was bawled out etc. It is a balanced view. You appreciate what a big deal JFK was at that time and he comes across as a decent guy albeit maybe not the brightest.
You also realise that the magazine JFK launched "George" was precarious The author conveys the feel of the initial euphoria of the magazine launch etc. followed by its subsequent struggles
Yes it is the story from the pa's part but the are some great background stories as well about the Kennedys.
The author also recognises that all her status as PA derived from who she worked for and after he died she struggled to find what to do next.
Noone is besmirched by this book and one of the best books I have read on this topic as it gives you a sense of what JFK and his life was really like.
on 2 August 2014
Right from the start Rosemarie encapsulated the essence of John F Kennedy Jnr - not eulogising him but showing you the other side of his personality! You felt like you knew that bit more about him and it was worth knowing! Sadly we will never know what he would have done with his life - but this book has allowed you to gain that bit more knowledge of his character and know that he is sadly missed and another reminder of the end of the Camelot" era!

The book is well written by someone who spent the last five years with him sharing all aspects of his working life!!
on 6 May 2016
I'm really interested in knowing more about Carolyn Bessette, so this book was a must for me since its reléase date. It gives you a lot of personal anecdotes of RoseMarie with John&Carolyn, they are new anecdotes I've never read before about it in tabloids or in other books. So if you are interested in John and/or Carolyn, this is a must read.
VINE VOICEon 26 January 2017
This is a sad tale of jackie kennedys sons short life and his untimely death with his wife - it's detail around the life and circumstances leading to that tragic night and the family story.
on 21 January 2013
Interesting insight into the main personalities and their life styles ,
Also interesting to read about Rosemarie's back ground and upbringing in New York .
on 25 June 2013
well written, very detailed insight into a very private life, from someone that was there and on the inside. a must buy
on 13 August 2016
Insider insights from a personal perspective on the public figures at the heart of this tragedy.
on 9 June 2015
Great insight into John's private life and his character.
on 29 November 2013
I felt compelled to write this review given that I am also an Executive Assistant, working in London, UK albeit not quite on the same levels as RoseMarie. I absolutely loved this book and felt it to be a fascinating insight into not just RoseMarie's working life but also her upbringing as well, rising from the Bronx to working for the equivalent of America's Royal Family which is certainly how we saw the Kennedy's in the UK is no mean feat and is a result of her determination and hard work and is an inspiration to us all.

So often EAs/PAs get accused of having affairs with our bosses because of the closeness of our working relationships but for the vast majority of us that is simply not the case. It is the most intense working relationship within any working environment and it has to be that way in order for us to do our jobs successfully. It is also a huge honour to be trusted at this level with someone's personal and professional lives and know that with the success our bosses enjoy that we have played a huge part in making that happen. Would George have got off the ground in the way it did without RoseMarie?

It is very clear throughout this book how much JFK Jnr valued RoseMarie and also Carloyn as well. This is a huge compliment to any EA to be trusted at this level. Being an EA (if you get the right boss) is one of the most rewarding roles you can undertake. I chuckled to myself when RoseMarie had to put JFK Jnr in his place from time to time or took him to task over certain matters - that is part of the role but tough for any PA to be able to do that to someone like him but it is clear that it is exactly what he needed from her and actually really liked.

If you are not tough in this role you will get eaten alive - the gatekeeping part we can all relate to and every Tom, Dick and Harry trying to get a meeting in or your boss to attend an event and RoseMarie had plenty of that to deal with.

Now put yourself into her position when you hear the news that the people you are working for have tragically died? I can tell you now that for any EA this would be abosolutely devestating beyond belief (unless you have a bully boss). I know a few PAs here in the UK this has happened to and one was off work for a year grieving and in therapy. People forget about the aftermath for us when something like this happens and mutiply that by 10 times for RoseMarie with the press to deal with to boot. I absolutely commend her for the way she dealt with things and came through an even stronger woman that she already was.

Thank you to RoseMarie for sharing more information on what JFK Jnr and Carolyn were like as people, it was so interesting to learn more about them as actual human beings. Their lives were intruded on so much, can you imagine if that had happened now with high profile figures not being able to go literally anywhere or do anything with it ending up on Twitter or Facebook. I know as their EA you will be the person that knew them the best so this book will be accurate believe me..