Customer reviews

on 2 December 2010
The Shattering is a prequel novel for the new World of Warcraft expansion Cataclysm and explains many of the lore changes that happened in game. It follows many well-known lore characters from the games which most players will know and follows Thrall and Cairne Bloodhoof from the Horde side and Anduin Wrynn for the Alliance, though many more well-known characters from both factions appear along the story.

Christie dose a wonderful job in immersing you in to the characters of Azeroth and the plight that is going on in there world. Both factions are given their own story which occasionally overlaps. The Horde side feels more epic, especially near its conclusion but I found the Alliance side far more engrossing and interesting (I play both factions in game, but my alliance has been swinging more to the, well, Alliance)

The only fault of is that at 350+ pages long it feels like it could have been flushed out more. I for one would have loved to see more set in and around Ironforge and taking more time in introducing and developing Aggra and her relationship with Thrall. I found this to be the problem of Christina other book, Rise of the Lich King, but in this case it is a minor flaw in a very well written book.

All in all, The Shattering is a gripping novel from start to finish that really gets you in the mood for Cataclysm and is a gift for those who are enthralled by the Lore of Warcraft.
on 5 November 2010
Long description comming up..

After reading Christie Golden's book Arthas: Rise of The Lich King and all the build up that Blizzard has done for the upcoming launch (or if you have read this review past the launch) of World of Warcraft's third expansion Catacalysm this actually ties in with the pre launch within the game pretty well and helps set up the back story to some of characters and the events taking place.

It's a good book to read as Christie Golden does make her characters believeable and sticks with their personality traits as they are in the games whereas some of the other WoW books out there potray their main characters as being dominant and spiteful and if it's not their way then they have to do something about it which doesn't always reflect in-game characters.

This book actually does tend to stick with the current and upcoming happenings within the games at present (or previously happened) so well done Christie for that one!

The only very tiny letdown for me and it is only a nit-pick (comment if you will) is it was abit too busy in places and it seemed like you needed to read through it quickly to get back on with the main storyline. As this was more focused on the Horde side to the buildup it did feel to me that the Alliance's problems were just a side-track and some breathing room from what the Horde has to go through. Like I said that was just a personal experience on the book.

Being a WoW player myself Christie has done well with the lore side to the Warcraft series so if you're a WoW player who has played (or wish to know) the pre-catacalysm experience or you're one for the lore side to this great game franchise then this is a book worth getting and adding to the WoW series. Happy Reading and keep up the good work Christie!
on 10 November 2010
WARNING: Review contains spoilers! Don't read if you don't want to know some major plot points!

Christie Golden has always been my favorite Warcraft author. Far better than Knaak (though thats not saying much). Here, she once again proves how amazing she is at writing Warcraft lore. This book was both sad and chilling. The Grimtotem coup and Cairne's death had me almost spitting with rage. Magatha has earned my eternal hatred. What happened to Magni, and then Moira's story, nearly brought tears to my eyes. They both misunderstood each other and I hope that Magni can be revived in the future so that he and Moira can have a long talk like they need to. Anduin and his storyline also intrigued me. The Light responding to Anduin like it did could easily mean he's going to become a priest or paladin in the future. His father wants him to be a warrior, but I can very easily see him becoming a paladin, since thats basically a warrior that can heal and touch the Light, and Anduin so wanted to help everyone in this book. His grief over the dead was very real and believable for a thirteen year old.

Thrall's interactions with Aggra were the only things in the novel that didn't seem perfect. He chose her for a mate rather fast, with very little build up. It almost seemed rushed and forced. I don't blame the author, she may have had a deadline to meet and may not have been able to add any more. With more build up, I could see Thrall and Aggra as mates. In this novel, I just couldn't. In this WoW player's mind, Thrall has always belonged with Jaina, human or not. Garrosh was also played in a more sympathetic light. Brash and hot headed, like his father, but also honorable, like his father. He is truly Grom's son in The Shattering, and I don't hate him anymore (I play Horde, and have hated Garrosh since he was a whiny brat in Nagrand), and think Thrall made the right decision making him Warchief. Saurfang would have been a good choice, too, but like Thrall thinks in the book, he's too set in the old ways and could not rally the Horde like Garrosh can (don't cleave me, Saurfang, but its true!)

This book evoked powerful emotions from me and I just couldn't put it down until I was finished, despite the minor flaws. Any author that can do this is truly amazing.
on 6 January 2016
Loved it. It was good to finally have some in depth explanation behind some of the events that took place before Cataclysm was released. After hearing the rumours confirmed that Garrosh was becoming leader of the horde and other slightly unbelivable rumours, I was a little bit shocked to hear that they were all true. But now after reading this novel I can understand where the writers/designers were coming from, and their reasoning behind such decisions.

I absolutely loved being able to read about and see from the perspective of two characters who are usually overshadowed by their fathers; Anduin Wrynn and Baine Bloodhoof. Such interesting characters and I'm really hoping more is written about them.
on 3 January 2011
The title says it all! I was absolutely astounded at how well thought out and written this book was. I enjoyed every waking moment reading this book and took it just about everywhere! (Not when i was sleeping ofc). The way she speaks about the characters makes you feel as though you are imbursed within the book yourself, asif you could almost touch them with your own hands. This may of been my first of Christie's book but surely wont be my last, excellent Author, excellent book, 5 Stars !
on 27 February 2011
I am pleased to say that I enjoyed every page of this book. The author has a real knack for imagery and keeping the reader engaged. As a player and fan of world of warcraft the settings and characters in the book were immediately familiar and it was fun and exciting to hear them described in a new way.

If you are a fan of world of warcraft or just fantasy novels in general I would definitely recommend this book, just get it.
on 9 October 2011
This was my first world of warcraft book and after playing the game / knowing about the game for several years it's been a very good read and learned a lot about the characters and Lore. Although I had to use the internet to learn the back story of some characters it gave me a different prospective about the game world and I highly recommend this to any wow fan, heck even if you don't play the game the story line is amazing.
on 31 January 2011
This was bought for me as a present and my expectations were not high, books (and films) of video games are usually dire, but I was pleasantly surprised, even delighted. The writing is a little bit stiff in places (but still streets ahead of such authors as Dan Brown or Tom Clancy) and the plot moved along nicely with some well-drawn characters. All in all a satisfying read.
on 8 January 2011
This arrived earlier than expected and in great packaging. The book itself is well written and pacy... it contains a lot of the background to the people and places involved in the whole Cataclysm expansion to World of Warcraft. There were personal moments in the book that really bought the fantasy world to life. very impressed
on 21 May 2013
Without doubt this is Thralls story and you have to love the big green mega orc. That said I did want to slap him and tell him to get a grip after one too many introspective moans. The surprisingly interesting story is that of Anduin, the young prince and the sad lose of king Mangi. Good story well told full of lore