on 15 December 2010
The second book in the Typhon Pact mini-series, which is also the second Trek book that Michael Martin has written solo, is a fairly run of the mill adventure. When a natural disaster destroys a Gorn breeding planet, two factions set out to find a replacement. The discovery of an ancient terraforming technology looks promising, but Will Riker and the crew of the USS Titan are afraid it could also be used as a weapon.

This novel occurs roughly simultaneously with the first Typhon Pact novel, but other than a few mentions it could have occurred anywhere in the Trek canon. It's a fairly standard story of alien technology, prime directive problems and arguments with the Gorn which seems to have almost no bearing on the continuing storyline. This is a little disappointing as I was hoping for something that would continue developing the plot.

The plot itself seems quite slow moving, and made hard to read by the Gorn speech being rendered in a 'Gorn phonetic dialect' which seems unnecessary given that they wouldn't be speaking English anyway. The action tends to stay in one place, and the different factions and number of named Gorn become a little confusing.

In terms of style it is very similar to the Bashir book which precedes it - both focus on one of the Typhon Pact's member races, showing them to be more than just a warmongers, and dealing with aspects of racism that pervade in the characters. It's more similar though to the earlier Titan novels, but it's far from the best of the bunch. I personally feel that Martin's writing has lost something since he stopped collaborating with long time writing partner Andy Mangels.

Overall I was a little disappointed. I was expecting something a little more grand and focussed on the Typhon Pact plot rather than a day in the life of the Titan. Hopefully the remaining two books in the mini-series will get things back on track.
on 20 December 2010
I picked up the first book in the series and couldn't put it down. The second one I was hoping for more of the same... However, this was just a very poor effort by all involved.

Instead of focusing on the Breen as the first book in the series did, this one focuses on the Gorn. The Gorn who appear to act all too human except they have names that have apostrophes and all too many s's and h's. That's about it to be honest... It doesn't really focus on the whole Typhon pact as a whole, and could probably have been done for a better effect as a short Titan story. Even for a short book as it is, it still feels too long and there are many pages where all you can think is "Get on with it" as the crew of the Titan seem to do not very much at all as they wait for a civilization to be destroyed by a random and handily found world sculpting artifact.

All in all, this was not a good book. If you skip this, you won't have missed anything of any interest.
on 24 December 2010
The first Typhon Pact book was a great spy thriller romp that basically introduces the reader to one of the most mysterious of Trek's alien species, The Breen, and it was great fun. I read it in less than 2 days. And weird chunks missing from DS9's plot aside, Vaughn in a coma and Kira no longer in charge of the station, when exactly did all that happen? A good read.
I was hoping the rest of the Typhon Pact was going to be in a similar vein.

I have to admit, the Titan series is very hit and miss for me, it ranges from great to just plain dull, I nearly fell asleep reading Over A Torrent Sea.

But onto Seize The Fire, the plot meanders along from the get go, we get to see the inner workings of Gorn society and to be honest I wish I hadn't as they were far better off as just a cool big lizard alien. Their story and race are not as exciting as the Breen, in many ways it completely diminishes the Gorn, and makes them seem far too human.
Seize The Fire isnt entirely without merit, the characterisation is excellent, Riker is the Riker we all know and love, but burdened now with making all the tough choices as Captain. And the prose is fine for the most part. The alien terraforming artifact is the main drive of the plot but is never fully explained to my satisfaction, they story itself seems to take a back seat to the action, which comes thick and fast at the end, with Riker's capture by the crazed Gorn commander seeming rushed and unneccessary.

I hope the next installment is better, the DS9 books have been the best of the relaunch series for me, and I also hope they explain some of the huge gaps in story from The Soul Key to Typhon Pact.
on 9 February 2011
The Destiny trilogy has been somewhat over-rated in my opinion. Although it was an O.K. read, the plot was a little contrived but it did create the large scale change in the Trek universe that set up the subsequent books.
I really enjoyed all of the post Destiny novels such as A Singular Destiny and Losing The Peace (which follow on from the wonderful Articles of the Federation), and the Voyager Full Circle and Unworthy continuations. All of these are very superior Trek and set exceedingly high standards !
My expectations werre certainly not met in the first Typhon Pact novel which was a major disappointment - it was uninteresting, not particularly well written and failed to move forward developments in the larger Trek universe much at all.
I am afraid that much the same can be said of this one. The writing is certainly better, but again we have an (almost stand alone) adventure only indirectly concerning the larger story of the Federation and Typhon Pact.
The Titan novels have so far been as near to 'hard' sci-fi as Trek gets and some interesting concepts have gone some way to offsetting the (to me at least) somewhat unappealing crew. This novel has not changed my mind about the crew and and the concept of the novel is not ground breaking. There is still very little of the political wrangling that the series seemed to promise and not much about wider developments such as on DS9.
Let's hope the next novel in the series is more successful.
on 4 January 2011
Excellent book which sets the scene for new nasty villans (the Typhon Pact) for the Federation to vanquish, assimilate or befriend now that the Borg have been dealt with.
Great to see Captain Riker in charge and also an insight to the emotional turmoil that Tuvok sometimes has to face and the price he pays.
Super to have the continuing timeline and new stories in the Star Trek universe.
on 24 December 2016
Whilst the story is gripping, especially towards the end, the predilection towards making the names of characters as hard to read as any tongue-twister is to speak, means that this was tough at times to wade through.

That said, it does come to a compelling conclusion, and offers up an intriguing glimpse of what is to come later in the series.
on 2 July 2014
This book really ramped up the tension, showing a great peek into the Gorn society. I loved that this was an entire crew (Titan) rather then purely from the perspective o fine person in the previous book (Bashir). If this is a sign of things to come in the series, it's going to be an amazing series.
on 20 August 2011
I have enjoyed just recently the Titan series of books the story lines were fantastic, I ordered The Typhon Pact: Seize the Fire, even before I'd finished the other book, I wasn't disappointed I couldn't put it down and was sorry when it ended, what a fantastic read, give me more of the same.
on 5 February 2012
...out of all the Typhon Pact novels, this is the only one that took me longer than 2 sittings to get through. In fact it took me over 3 weeks to plod through it. It just didn't engage me at all, I just felt I had to read it for completeness' sake. I wish I hadn't bothered.
on 9 May 2015
πŸ†ƒπŸ…·πŸ…ΈπŸ†‚ πŸ…±πŸ…ΎπŸ…ΎπŸ…Ί πŸ††πŸ…°πŸ†‚ πŸ…°πŸ††πŸ†‚πŸ…ΎπŸ…ΌπŸ…΄. πŸ…Έ. πŸ…»πŸ…ΎπŸ†…πŸ…΄πŸ…³ πŸ…ΈπŸ†ƒ. πŸ†ˆπŸ…ΎπŸ†„ πŸ…ΉπŸ†„πŸ†‚πŸ†ƒ πŸ…²πŸ…°πŸ…½ πŸ…½πŸ…ΎπŸ†ƒ πŸ…ΏπŸ†„πŸ†ƒπŸ†ƒ πŸ…ΈπŸ†ƒ πŸ…³πŸ…ΎπŸ††πŸ…½.πŸ…Έ πŸ…ΉπŸ†„πŸ†‚πŸ†ƒ πŸ…»πŸ…ΎπŸ†…πŸ…΄ πŸ†ƒπŸ…·πŸ…΄ πŸ†‚πŸ†ƒπŸ…°πŸ† πŸ†ƒπŸ†πŸ…΄πŸ…Ί πŸ†‚πŸ…΄πŸ†πŸ…ΈπŸ…΄πŸ†‚.