Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 17 November 2010
Having really enjoyed David Mack's Destiny trilogy I was looking forward to finding out what he would do next to the Star Trek universe in the first of four Typhon Pact novels. I have to admit I was a little disappointed by it though.

The story follows Julian Bashir and Serena Douglas as they attempt to infiltrate a Breen shipyard to retrieve some stolen plans. The Breen as a culture are explored in much more detail than ever before and Mack makes them seem very real. Sadly the same can't be said of the two Starfleet characters, whose genetic enhancements are played up, come across as superheroes whose power is a touch too awesome to empathise with.

The story starts in a style that I found quite similar to a television episode, with a lot of short scenes running back to back, setting up the plot, before settling down to the main part of the story. I find it quite irritating that a large period of Deep Space 9's story has been missed out between last year's The Soul Key and the Destiny books, which means a number of changes have occurred that are sprung upon the reader. I only wish that they had filled this gap with story rather than trying to gloss it over.

This book makes a traditional slightly dodgy attempt to do romance, which Star Trek has always been particularly bad at. Unfortunately it comes across quite cheaply, and doesn't really seem all that necessary to the plot, though it does serve as some motivation to the characters. Perhaps it is something that will be explored further in the rest of the series.

Although it was not what I would describe as an excellent read, it was better than a lot of Trek books and I'm still looking forward to reading the next three.
on 16 March 2012
David Mack does it aqgain, he makes every book fast paced by decribing things moving instead of the "the purple clouds appeared to have a concrete texture on this warm winter" type of shizzle other authors rely on for padding. I particularly like the continuity between all the books since Enterprise ended and i love the scenes with the federation president in them, This and the borg books trilogy 'Destiny' had lots of them. They would make a good tv series out of federation politics.
Oh no, the next book in the Typhon Pact series is written by Michael Martin, i hope its not as bad as the romulan war stuff he wrote with andy mangels.
on 1 November 2010
I've just fimshed the Destiny trilogy and was interested in what happened after those events. I believe that this book is also a part of a trilogy, with this book being the first. This book deals with the Typhon Pact and the actions the are taking to catch up technologically with the Federation.

The book kept me interested from the minute I opened it until I finished it. The only negative that I could level at the book is one of the characters seems to be a little bit too Jedi Knight and less human. But it did not detract from the story too much.

I would recommend this title to anyone with an interest in the Star Trek universe but if you haven't kept up to date with the previous novels then you will be left a little confused.
on 1 May 2013
I wasn't sure what to expect from this book, but found myself pleasantly surprised. I liked the idea of sending Bashir on a spy-type mission, having seen him role-playing the same with Miles O'Brien on DS9.
Yes, at times he and his partner Sarina seem to manage to get out of certain situations almost too easily, but nevertheless, it didn't prevent this novel turning into an enjoyable read.
I particularly enjoyed learning about the Breen, who have been seen briefly on our screens but only ever in their suits and headgear.
!!Attention, potential spoiler...

I recently read the Cold Equations set, in which yet another of Worfs love interests is killed off (a ridiculous decision in my opinion and one which ruined the book for me). At one point I was convinced that the same was going to happen here.
on 28 April 2014
After the two Deep Space 9 episodes "Statistical Probabilities" (Season 6) and "Chrysalis" (Season 7), I always felt that there was much more mileage in the Bashir/Douglas relationship and the "Jack Pack" and although it was never explored further in the TV series, this well written novel by David Mack gives us the next enthralling episode in the Deep Space 9 saga. It also gives a much more in depth look into the secretive world of the Breen.

"Zero Sum Game" SHOULD be made into a film in it's own right, it's that good!
on 12 May 2012
I bought this on kindle and to me its ideal for kindle as it passes the time but I wouldn't have wanted to pay full price for the book. I liked finding out more about the Breen, the Bashir/Douglas relationship seemed to lack something and the plot to rescue the stolen slipstream drive didn't really light my imagination. For me it serves its purpose creating tension between the UFP and the Typhon Pact. Worth a look if you want to find out about the Breen.
VINE VOICEon 15 December 2010
The whole book has the feel of a TV episode, which means that while everything moves along at a decent pace it doesn't seem to go anywhere. It feels as if nothing has changed by the end of the book, the bad guys lost and the good guys won.

The book at least broadens the Breen, the late addition to the Star Trek DS9 universe, and they could be a setup for future storylines. It appears that the writers intend to bring the less well known members of the Typhon Pact more to the fore (Gorn, Kinshaya, etc) but we will have to see if they can weave them into a cohesive storyline.

Again this doesn't mean that it is a bad book, just don't expect it to be in the same league as the Destiny books
on 17 July 2014
The plot is tedious, the actions and motives of the main characters unconvincing. Frankly, one of the rare books I could not be bothered to finish. I've enjoyed him at his imaginative best. This is not it.
on 25 August 2012
Not the best Star Trek novel i've read from David Mack. It got a bit to James Bond like for my taste and a certain confusing conversation between Dax & Necheyev at the close of the novel just threw in confusion as for the 2 years after this books release we havent seen this bunch of characters again..
on 17 December 2010
The Breen are the main race featured in Zero Sum Game and I'm sure fans of DS9 will pick up this novel to find out the secret of their species. The novel is very well written and moves along at a brisk pace. The second Typhon Pact novel Seize the Fire was a disappoint, so lets hope Rough Beasts of Empire can match Zero Sum Game.