on 10 December 2012
I agree with the first reviewer in a way, it is a bit frustrating to have to download the files individually though I appreciate that including a CD might have increased the cost and having the resource online allows for future corrections/additions. I would have liked the option of a single download, a 'get everything' zip as well as the chapter by chapter material. As has been said the stuff in the files doesn't make a great deal of sense without the book. However, if you view this as a workbook and go through it page by page, following the instructions it is brilliant. It's a book that makes you learn by doing. You can't really read a chapter in bed and then go and apply what you've picked up the next morning, I found I needed the book right next to me as I worked on painter following the instructions. I'm only as far as chapter 5, but I've learned a lot. Don't expect this to be a reference tool to dip in and out of, treat it as a series of lessons that are clear and well thought out.
4 people found this helpful
on 4 January 2013
Much better than the manual on showing how to setup Painter for use and then gives loads of tips on getting the best out of a very complex and sometimes buggy programme. Excellent colour pictures show just what be achieved using this unique software.
The book is probably more suited to artists using the programme than for photographers hoping to turn snaps into artistic masterpieces
3 people found this helpful
on 30 August 2017
Although the book is a little dated now with more up to date versions of Painter, much of what is covered is still relevant. So, for the price I paid, I am very satisfied.
on 12 August 2013
This book didnt meet my expectations about Painter 12. It doesn't really go into Painter as much as I would have liked.Also there is a chapter on how to do caricutures (even then its not a great deal of info). Not what I really want to learn.
on 20 February 2012
This review is slanted somewhat and written just after my third or fourth attempt to open the zipped files to use along with the paper book.

Bought the 'Fundamentals' book of Rhoda Draws' whimsical update to Painter 12, and a week later I still can not open the accursed zipped files referred to in her preface as "Dude-Where's the CD?". Laboriously downloaded all that was to be had from the website mentioned onto my macbook-pro, along with the the 'jZip' software designed to display the wonders within the folders, with the result that nothing at all is obvious in display or direction as to the how or the why of what. Utter frustration. This of course is more a testimony to my impatience and incapacity to whistle up the formula and maybe chant a mantra along the lines of "abracadabra!'

Oh well, the book looks interesting and basic enough to get me going in Painter 12 -perhaps, but with the deep well of antipathy towards those wretched zipped folders I find it difficult to warm to it. It's obvious from the artwork within its pages that it isn't aimed at those of us who -in our dreams- wish to develop digitally the skills needed to emulate Van Eyck or Rembrandt. And much as I admire caricature, I do not feel I will be lingering long amongst the many examples in this book.
6 people found this helpful