Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 August 2016
Very useful book and had some good soundproofing information
on 7 June 2011
The first surprise with this book was its size. You can't tell how large it is by the add and when you get it, you realise it is a 350-page book which is the size of the Guinness Book of Records. I am slowly reading it and going back to the different technical specifications to fully understand them. It is well written, easy to read, and shows that the writer has a vast experience in the field and knows what he's talking about. If you are about to embark in the amazing task that is to build a home recording studio, you must read this first!
on 18 February 2014
The author is well respected and you can trust his advice. But the book is a wee bit patchy in that he goes into great detail on some subjects but leaves many questions unanswered. There is also some filler, where for example he will repeat a manufacturer's press release verbatim without commenting on the product himself. And he dedicates six pages to debunking the myth that egg boxes are any use for anything other than packing eggs (needs to be done, fair enough, but six pages!)

The book is highly USA-oriented which is mostly OK but for the section on electrics. You'll also need to research equivalent manufacturers of various materials if you're outside of the States.

Don't let me put you off though. Nitpicking aside it's extremely useful and any questions it raises can be answered here:

[...]

or

[...]

The author is among several professionals active on both these and gives very complete answers to specific questions. He even has his own topic, for answering questions regarding the book.
on 15 October 2015
This is probably a good book, if you're planning on physically BUILDING a home studio. There's nothing in here about the gear and techniques, it's all about construction. I think it's a little misleading, but then again I should have read the reviews in more detail. Needless to say I returned it and got my money back. Be careful before buying this, it's not cheap, and I'm not sure how many people are genuinely looking to actually build a room like this.
on 23 July 2016
I purchased this book as I am going to soundproof my garage.

The most important requirement for me was that the book tells me how to soundproof a room. It does that very well.

Second, it would be helpful if it walked you through everything else. I've not finished reading it yet, but from the chapter names and a quick skim through it appears to do this too (though things like electrics are American regs rather than UK regs).

What I can say it doesn't do is give you a step by step guide through a sound proofing project start to finish, so I'm making notes while I read the book and hopefully I'll have my own complete plan at the end of it.

Overall I can say that if you want to sound proof a room, whether it be a garage, a studio in a warehouse, or somewhere else, this book appears to be a must read before you start. It's super informative and written by an author who is very well respected in his field.

I've also done a quick video review that I've put on YouTube.
This book is very well written, and not difficult to read at all. The concepts covered are complicated, but Gervais writes in a way that makes them understandable to the layperson, and there are many photographs and diagrams to help you on the way.
So why did I save thousands? Well, through reading this book, it quickly became apparent that I would not be able to build the studio I had planned to with the space I have (a small, prism-shaped half of my attic). Between issues with standing waves and stereo imagery, it quickly became clear that I would be a fool to spend thousands on extremely high-end speakers, audio interfaces, microphones, and so on. I have now changed my plans, and am very happy with the new direction the project will be going in.
I will still be using the book moving forward, but mainly for its strong coverage of sound isolation techniques.
I highly recommend this book to anybody wishing to build a home studio; it will open your eyes to the many complexities involved, and make sure you have the best chance to build it right.
on 16 February 2015
Useful book - plenty of handy info. Obviously you need to be careful as the origin is the USA, so products and sizes are often different from what we have but it's a well thought through book, and one I can recommend.
on 14 May 2016
Very good reading, full of clear explanations. Written for people without technical background but still surprising for people who have it. Recomended!
on 22 March 2014
this book is in landfill , made a mistake wanted home recording basic, this complicated and was for people wanting to make a home studio not use one
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 December 2016
A pretty thorough book, some is written using US terms, units etc but the principals are universal.