Format: Library Binding|Change

on 7 August 2002
This series of books is mind blowing. Robert Jordan has created a world that feels so real, dangerous and awe-inspiring that there have been moments where I have literally exclaimed out loud as I have been reading. The tension he builds up in each story is quite simply brilliant- I couldn't put the book down, it was just so good. As you see Rand al'Thor go through his reluctant rise to power- a power beyond any kind that I have ever read before- you share his fears, his weary resignation as he begins to accept that he is fated to be much, much more than just an ordinary shepherd, and you also share in his amazement as he learns exactly what he is capable of. When ignorant, arrogant people throughout the story (there are many) underestimate him and he shows them exactly what he's really made of and makes them wish they'd never been born you cannot help but think "yesss! Go Rand go!"- you cannot help but feel smug on Rand's behalf at those moments. The Wheel of Time is a thoroughly satisfying novel, more so because every single character is complex, and have faults and weaknesses as well as strengths. The scale of this story is so epic it will take your breath away. I enjoyed reading this much much more than Lord of the Rings and will likely read it over and over again. I cannot recommend this series of books too highly, they are fantastic, truly.
on 16 August 1999
... though obviously I'd recommend you read them in order.
Certain writers are fond of certain words and phrases, Anne Rice, for example has a fondness for the word 'preternatural' well it seems as if Robert Jordan has a fondness for bosoms.
He certainly doesn't mention them on every page, but since it was pointed out to me, I notice every time he mentions the phrase 'she folded her arms under her breasts.' Only a male fantasy writer would say that, as to any woman it would be obvious where you would fold your arms... but still, I'm enjoying the series immensely.
A disappointment is how little Rand, who seemed to be the hero/lead protagonist of the first two novels, actually features in the novel. His absence does give the other characters a chance to shine though, Mat in particular benefits from a move to the centre stage.
Robert Jorden is an often inventive writer and I particularly liked the idea of the Gray Men, but you'll have to read the book to find out who and what they are.
The climax of this novel is the best so far, after the rather tacked on ending of 'Eye of the World' and the too dream based confrontation of 'The Great Hunt.'
Here all the plot strands converge, and not one, but two, innovative and exciting use of dreams work well for me, in contrast to the previous dreams of the earlier novels. Not everything is resolved, but then that's the beauty of reading a series like this...!
on 1 July 2016
This is my third version of this book being somewhat easier to read on my commute though the hardbacks look great on the bookshelf.

One of the best books in the entire series for me.

Re the kindle edition, there are a huge number of errors "Sammace" instead of "Sammael" in the last chapter being an example. For this reason I only give it 3 stars.
on 1 June 2016
Love this series-buying a book a month on Kindle -although I already have the books!
If you've not been fortunate enough to have found Robert Jordans wheel of time works-and you like all things fiction fantasy-tolkien etc-give this guy a read-I can't believe I took until 2010!!
on 31 January 2013
Not the best of the set but does wet your appetite to continue on with the saga, not enough of Rand in this one and too much of the three women who are plain annoying most of the time. Will certainly read the next book to find out what happens to Rand.
on 4 October 2012
This my favourite book of the series so far, simply because of what it means to the series. Rand al'Thor sets out on a quest to retrieve Callandor and thus prove to the world he is the true Dragon Reborn. It is also the first book to really deal with what it means to be ta'veren. The story follows Mat and Perrin on separate trails to Rand, but each lead to the same location in different ways, each pulling others along. It is obvious Jordan has thought about this interesting concept and fully explores it here.

Throughout the book, though, the strongest ta'veren, main character and eponymous hero, Rand, does not appear much. I believe this is a good idea. The book is all about Rand and how he may affect the world, but by not having him there, he appears more alien and you end up feeling you've lost a friend in the same way Mat and Perrin have. It's a fantastic strategy. What it also does, is give the other characters time to shine. For the first time in the series, we get to see through the eyes of Mat, and find out he is quite honourable in his own way (if maybe a little selfish about it). Perrin gets an interesting story and finds another wolfbrother which makes him question his future with his ability.

Special mention has to go to one particular chapter though. 'The Hammer' may seem out of place at first, but in this chapter, occurring just before the climax, everything slows down as Perrin works at a forge for a day. Jordan goes off about the workings of the smithy and the intricacies in working with iron in great detail. He describes what Perrin is doing and why he's doing it. Perrin eventually forgets his troubles for a few hours; and for a few pages, so do we. It makes us feel for the life he's left behind and may never go back to.

This book doesn't end with an epic battle like the previous one, though there is fighting, but somehow it seems more epic due to fulfilment of many prophecies,
The Dragon IS reborn!

P.S. I do need to say this edition has a ton of errors in it, so many, that I would feel right in saying it has not been proofread. Most of the errors can be understood, though some are more difficult, often 'stern' is written as 'stem' and many other words where 'rn' is replaced by 'm' and vice versa. 'Ilyena' was once written as 'hyena' and it took me a while to realise what was meant then. But then there are others which I can't explain away. Occasionally some words were preceded by something completely random like the number 0. It could have let the reading down a bit, but these are things that are easily fixed if the editors can see their way to doing it.
on 2 May 2007
Another good read by Jordan but one not without its faults. The main character practically disappears from the entire book and I found the climax, bringing together 3 or 4 main plot lines to be disappointingly underdeveloped. That's not to say it's not enjoyable, but as Jordan spent 600 pages plus getting there, it seems peculiar that the story threads were cut short so suddenly! Rand proclaiming himself to be the Dragon Reborn is the ideal platform for Jordan's excellent desciptive narrative skills to come to the fore; instead we get a few lines, whereas 200 pages back we are fortunate enough to have almost an entire chapter on the workings of the White Tower's kitchens! (Perhaps a slight exaggeration!) This is perhaps something of a 'filler' book between the superior Book 2 -The Great Hunt, and Book 4 but in summary this remains a good book within a great series.
on 7 March 2011
This was my first e-book so I was really excited to begin it. I understand the prices for kindle books are set by the publisher, so amazon is in no way to blame for the price being the same as the paperback version, but I'd like to point out that for this reason the publisher should ensure the quality of the book is the same. There were so many spelling errors, not just names (Perrin spelt three different ways on the same screen, 'Venn' instead of Verin) but also random words or letters appearing mid-text. The story itself is great, and I'm sure if it was in paperback I would have rated it higher, just such a shame the kindle version was so poorly edited, if at all!
on 10 January 2016
This books really do have a funny way of pulling you on to read them. This third one was once again very good and entertaining. Perrin is my favourite character and I was glad there were large chunks of the book dedicated to him.
This series is just getting better and better and The Dragon Reborn was my favourite instalment so far. There are just so many different plot lines going on and all of the characters have their own paths to follow which is keeping me totally hooked.

We see less of Rand in this book than we did in the first two and a lot of what we learn about him comes second hand via rumours that the others hear. It's obvious that he's still struggling against his destiny and he also seems to be going slightly crazy but I'm hoping he'll be able to turn that around if he can just accept what the wheel has in store for him. Having the story focus less on Rand really gives some of the others more of a chance to shine and I have to admit that Perrin is still my favourite of the three boys. I love how attuned he has become to the wolves but I really hope he stops fighting that ability soon so we can really see what he's capable of. The interactions between him and a certain new character were brilliant and I'm looking forward to seeing where that goes too. Mat has been a difficult character to like in the previous books, thanks to the curse he had picked up he's not been pleasant company for anyone and if I'm honest I didn't think I'd ever end up liking him. I'm pleased to say that he totally turned things around by the end of this book though, now that he's been cured he is getting back to his old self, he's definitely a rogue but he's quite a loveable one. He's constantly trying to convince himself, and everyone around him, that he's no hero but if you look at his actions you'll realise he's just kidding himself on that front and I was pleased with how much he's grown.

Moiraine is still keeping secrets and I find it really frustrating that she keeps everything so close to her chest but I secretly enjoy watching her pulling everyone's strings and making sure that it all plays out the way she wants it to. Nynaeve, Egwene and Elayne have an important task of their own in this book but there were times when Egwene REALLY started to irritate me, the constant bickering between her and Nynaeve made me want to bang their heads together and I could have cheered when Elayne finally did something about it! Let's hope that Egwene has an attitude adjustment in the next book or I'm going to end up dreading any scene with her in it which would be a shame as I've liked all the girls up until this point. I still want to get to know Elayne and Min a bit better than we do, I like what we've seen of them but they're still very much background characters and I'm hoping that's something that will also change as the series continues.

I found this story had a much better pace to it than the previous one, all of the characters seem to be headed in very different directions but the story pulled all the threads together into a brilliant climax and I loved seeing how everything tied together. We have learnt a lot more about the Forsaken and the Black Ajah are pretty terrifying. The sense of danger has definitely ramped up and it's making me feel very nervous about all the things that could potentially happen. I'm so excited to see where the series takes our favourite characters next though and can't wait to dive into the next book!