on 14 January 2017
The day it arrived I was so excited , I could not wait to get it out of the packaging. What I saw before me was pure beauty. The cover is a vivid red with gold writing giving it a somewhat old feeling to it and the illustration is amazing.I was already content. The only thing that surprised me was the thickness of the pages. They are quite thin , but that's not stopping me from grabbing it and reading it. As it just arrived today I haven't been able to read it , but I would recommend the book to anyone as it's in great quality and it's quite cheap. Also everyone should be introduced into the mesmerizing world of The Brothers Grimm's. Do not miss out !
on 29 October 2016
The hard box sleeve and the cloth cover that feature the magical and mysterious woodland are what made me buy this book. It is a DELIGHT! The paper is that slightly thin crisp paper of old which adds a sensual texture to page turning. The illustrations that are randomly scattered throughout show illustrators such as Rackham at the top of their game. I loved reading the stories and letting my imagination paint th epictures where there wasn't always an illustration to go with it. I would totally recommend this.
on 4 January 2015
I wasn't sufficiently happy with this to keep it. The binding is good but not outstanding (sewn and clothbound, but not as luxurious as one would think). The pages are quite thin and almost see-through. The stories are newly typeset, and the illustrations are good. However, be aware that the colour plates appear in completely different parts of the volume compared to the story they are supposed illustrate. There is a publisher's note about the edition that is used in this volume (Margaret Hunt's 1897 translation), which was appreciated (see here: http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=iRoQAgAAQBAJ&lpg=PP1&pg=PR30#v=onepage&q&f=false).
on 29 September 2015
I have a substantial collection of leather bound books and this one is by far the best. The intricate details on the cover and inside the cover are the most beautiful of all the books I own. It includes all the Brothers Grimm stories that I know and love, and a few ones that I haven't seen before! It was substantially cheaper than Waterstones and arrived brand new- no broken spine or crumpled edges. Well worth anyone's money.
on 9 January 2015
Another truly beautiful volume from the Barnes & Noble leatherbound classics range collecting together all the fantastical fairy stories of the brothers Grimm into one tome. Here are the stories that inspired the classic animations of Walt Disney.

The stories themselves are quite short with illustrations throughout making this an ideal book to read to children at bedtime or to be treasured by adults as a beautifully presented piece of literature.

I was so impressed by this wonderful book that I bought another copy for my fairy story obsessed young niece to treasure as she grows up.
on 18 January 2014
I really loved this book. All the tales are well written, the illustrations are beautifully detailed and it's a lovely leather bound too! Buy this, you wont be disappointed! However, I have to note, this book is probably a little more suitable for older readers, someone below 12 wont really understand some of the tales. My favourite were: The Elves, The devil with the Three Golden Hairs, The Griffin, Rumpelstiltskin, Snow white and the seven dwarves and The shoes that were danced to pieces. They are all amazing, but these were the ones which really stayed in my head long after reading them.

BUY THIS! you wont be disappointed :-) :-) :-)
on 18 September 2014
I don't normally rate my purchases but I feel I had to with this book.

I purchased it with a view of using it in my English class as an alternate version of the stories that children grow up hearing and showing how they were originally told. I was impressed with everything about the book. The way the book feels when you hold it and the quality of the paper. It evens smells amazing (yes I like the smell of books). Better than I expected and well worth the money. I love it.
on 21 December 2014
I went for this version of the Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales over other similar books because of many reviewers complaining that the other books were not 'complete'. Well this book is probably as complete as those people could ever wish for - including unfinished stories, story snippets and duplicate/similar tales. I deducted a star because think I'd have liked this book edited down but that's a matter of preference.
The book does however look and feel very expensive and worthy and I'm sure will be treasured forever
on 18 March 2016
I enjoy reading this book as the tales are slightly different to the later versions we a are used to. A little less politically correct. I read the reviews before purchasing, some people said it was hard to read, I didn't find that at all and the grandchildren (eight and ten) also enjoy reading it and don't seem to have any issues with it being more difficult.
Its a well presented smart looking book.
on 17 January 2015
I looked in bookshops for a complete version of the tales and some seemed mightily overpriced.This edition is not flashy but comprehensive with good illustrations.One should not pay too much attention to the fact that the illustrations are well spaced out and not necessarily relevant to the adjacent story.This is collector's edition and not necessarily for young children.If you want a quality children's book with selected classic tales try the Taschen version.