on 29 March 2013
A book I was given many years ago by my father who also enjoyed this simple tale of love and war on an alien world. Despite the dated style this is still a gripping story.
on 13 March 2013
Having watched the film and enjoyed it I'm now reading the books and as with most film v book competition's the book is much better.
One person found this helpful
on 16 April 2013
Story was good and very futuristic for time written. A lot more background than movie giving good detail of characters.
on 20 March 2013
Great book, great story line? Definetly recommend it to anyone who likes John carter. It differs from the film but still very good
on 9 January 2013
The pace moved a little quick but a great and captivating read nonetheless!!
I cannot wait to get started on the next in the series.
on 5 April 2013
I first read this as a teenager and find its still a good read 40 years later, a book suitable for all ages
on 15 December 2012
it is a excellent book that is highly under rated... this book is one of the best books i have read in a long time
on 1 June 2013
Loved it! Would highly recommend it and I am slightly ashamed that it's taken me so long to discover this book
on 7 January 2013
I read this after watching the movie John Carter and enjoying it very much. However, I found the book heavy going.
on 30 July 2012
Now, I am very familiar with the original story by Edgar Rice Burroughs, having read the book (a couple of times) in the run up to the recent John Carter movie adaptation directed by Andrew Stanton, as well as the Dynamite comic book series, Warlord Of Mars. I was looking forward to this adaptation by Ian Edginton and illustrated by INJ Culbard, and I wasn't disappointed.

The artwork is of the same standard of the previous graphic novels I've read by INJ Culbard; HP Lovecraft's At The Mountains Of Madness and The Case Of Charles Dexter Ward as well as Conan Doyle's The Hound Of The Baskervilles, so I knew what to expect. By the way, I would recommend those books as well. I thought the artwork fit the story well.

The story, adapted by Ian Edginton, unlike the recent John Carter film, sticks very faithfully to the original book. It did feel like it was edited down a bit though, kind of like a two hour movie condensed into a half hour edit, as I breezed through the pages, but it never detracted from the story and was still an enjoyable read.

If you loved John Carter the movie, then I would recommend picking this up to experience a pretty good adaptation of the original story, equally, I would recommend it to those who have read and enjoyed the original A Princess Of Mars novel too for exactly the same reason.
2 people found this helpful