on 25 March 2014
There are sections of this that are fascinating and absorbing, described in illustrative detail. The whole section where Dantes is imprisoned sets the scene so well. But then Dumas just seems to take his foot off the gas and the next 10,000 pages limp past in such slow, over egged detail that the whole book just becomes an endurance. Knowing that his revenge must come does keep you reading, but by the time it does the initial injustice seems so long ago that it doesn't seem to matter any more and your mind will instead have wandered onto what you'll be having for dinner tomorrow. Cut this book down by at least half and it might do itself justice.
on 3 January 2003
I am just about to finish this excellent novel. Rather than read it over the last two weeks, I have lived it, with my life punctuating the moments between my being immersed once again.
The underlying theme within the book, and the intricate woven plots are timeless and make this novel as exciting as a pure adventure novel as well as a literary study into morals, greed and excess, revenge, etc.
I love the way Dumas displays to us the various strings of each of his plots, and then as you read on you see all of these elements fall into place, so much so you are willing each "victim" to "get theirs".
I am now a staunch fan of Dumas, and I hope his other works will attain similar standards to this masterpiece.
on 10 May 2016
Make no mistake about it The Count of Monte Cristo is a long read, indeed some say overly long in places, however I found the plots, the multitude of characters and their relationships thoroughly engrossing and well worth the effort. It is an absorbing read and definitely a great escape in every sense of the word. I almost docked a star as the author annoyed me by unnecessarily engaging with the reader with phrases like "as we have seen" etc. That minor gripe aside I would encourage anyone who likes a tale of love, betrayal and revenge to treat themselves to a copy of Alexandre Dumas' literary classic, I'm certainly glad I did, I hope you do to. Be prepared to be entertained and educated in equal measure.
on 20 November 2011
I first chose to read the Count of Monte Cristo because I found the title very intriguing. It was summer 2008, and I picked up a copy. What a great decision that was! Over a thousand pages of brilliance. It may look intimidating when you first start reading and think "how the hell am I supposed to read all this?" but I assure you, by the time you are flicking through the last few pages you will think different-- you will wish you could get more of His Excellency, the Count of Monte Cristo. It really has something for everyone: love, revenge, thieving bankers, lesbianism etc. It's my favourite ever book, and whenever I find out somebody reads, I always ask if they've read it! Can't recommend it strongly enough.
on 9 March 1999
I have just finished reading this, which in my opinion is the best book in the world. Everything about it is amazing. The plot is captivating and fulfilling. Dantes's intricately planned vengeance on the men who ruined his life is so detailed and amazing it leaves me speachless. I love how the book leaves hints of future events and things which at one point may not make sense. Later, however, their purpose is revealed and they help the reader to understand the current events as well as show the how the past, present, and future of Edmond Dantes's life is connected. All those who have given this book 1 star are simpletons who were forced into reading it and never even tried to appreciate it.
on 7 June 2016
This is not illustrated as advertised and contains regular typos and numbers wisthin the text.
on 24 October 2001
I first came to this book by accident but turned out to be one of the best books I've ever read. I was captivated by the story, the characters and the style from the very begining and found it hard to stop reading. The plot, especially the scheming was incedibly well set out and narated. Every character is unique and described in such a manner that not only you can picture them phisically but completely understand their inner most thoughts. All of this is achieved by the author without becoming boring or too tiresome. One of the best novels I've come across.
on 4 May 2007
You know when you're reading a really good book and you don't want it to end?

This is that book!

And it's by Dumas!

What more could a person want?

I was first drawn to Dumas after reading 'The Dumas Club' - which is actually quite a bad book. I was reading other French lit. of the period and thought I'd give it a go. Dumas is one of my fave. authors hands down. His attention to detail and masterful storylines have helped ensure his place in literary heaven - one of the greats who will never be forgotten.
on 28 June 2011
Wow this is certainly a fun book to read. This a truly an adventure story whose stuffy title belies the rip roaring yarn within. I was hooked and although one complaint may be that this book doesn't philosophise too much (well compared with the length of the novel) it is certainly an interesting tale. I would recommend this to Dickens fans as the overall structure of the story came in like a Dickens novel. Anyone marvelling at storytelling in modern cinema should try this out to see how little we have advanced in the last 150 odd years. In fact I would love to see a great film adaptation of this story. I loved the character of Abbé Faria who is the inspiration to Edmond.
on 30 April 2014
Unreadable due to typos. It's as though the publisher conducted random search/replace operations on the manuscript to change letters into symbols. Three pages in I got bored of guessing what the words are.