on 5 July 2012
This beautiful book with guilt-edged pages is a must-have for Dickens fans! The cover shows a gorgeous image of Victorian London and the leather-binding is both resilient and great for tricking you into thinking you're handling a centuries-old novel. Inside are five of Dickens' best works: Oliver Twist, A Christmas Carol, David Copperfield, Great Expectations and A Tale of Two Cities. If you like Dickens and you like pretty books, then you won't be disappointed.

However, if you're looking for something to encourage the kids to read, this heavy load might not be your best bet!
on 13 September 2011
My 8yo loves this book. It isn't a big hardback but instead a handheld (say 8x6 inches approx) hardback book she can read in bed while laying back (in other words, not so heavy, big, and unweilding you have to bend over to read it like some large hardbacks). This simplifies the stories into readable understandable and colourful tales for those under 10's. Very pleased. Also purchased Shakespeare.
on 18 February 2015
The perfect Dickens book to introduce good literature to children.
Beautifully designed with padded backed jacket. Acompanied
with beautiful colour pictures to take you through each story.
I like it enough to add it to my own collection.
on 24 July 2017
Lovely book, 7yo can't stop picking it up. Good introduction to classics.
on 10 August 2017
Brilliant for class task.
on 14 November 2014
Timeless
on 31 October 2010
A lovely book. Ideal to introduce children to Dickens in easy to understand language. Beautifully set out and illustrated.
on 12 February 2017
This book is a great introduction to Dickens. My 5 year old loves it, as do I. I hadn't read all of the stories before so really enjoyed getting to know "bleak house" etc. My daughter is doing Victorians as part of her year 1 syllabus so it fits in nicely with her learning. I did find some of the drawings a bit too much at first, and covered them up. She since found the book and looked at them anyway (for example, Bill Sikes hanging by the neck).
There are 6 stories and each is about 50-60 pages long. But there are lots of illustrations, so pages are not too text heavy. The pictures are really beautiful too. The stories are really well abridged. You don't feel like you are missing any content, and all of the famous Dicken's phrases are there.
I definitely recommend this book.
on 13 January 2014
I have never really wanted to read Charles Dickens, or watch any TV productions of his work, thinking all of his work to be miserable and depressing. The reason I bought this was just to give myself a VERY basic idea of what one or two of his books were about. This is a children's book obviously so it really is basic and simple to read. However, I really enjoyed reading through it and finally understanding the main plot from these different works. There is a section about Charles Dickens' life that actually sparked some real interest in me. I have since sent for a selection of his books and have discovered that I love the way he writes, also it isn't all misery afterall. I am old enough to have grand children so feel a little ashamed that my introduction to Charles Dickens' work has been this children's book but it has taught me what I have been missing. The illustrations are lovely and for me, added to the enjoyment. I feel that this book would be a very good place to start in encouraging young readers to explore what I now believe to be one of our great authors.
on 28 October 2012
Dickens' books have been edited so the story isn't quite as dark as the original version giving children their first taste of the classics.
Beautifully adapted, my child loved them.