Customer reviews

on 28 February 2016
Ok, let's start with the fact that these are some of the most attractive books going. Another Barnes and Noble classic to add to my ever-growing bookshelf!

"Jules Verne - Seven Novels" comes in a beautiful blood red, leather bound cover with gold and black embossed design. It is quite frankly, beautifully bound with much attention to detail. Looking inside of the book, you turn the page to a gorgeous print of a vintage world map. It comes with a taupe-gold ribbon to keep your place and high quality paper pages (edged in gold). The text is relatively small, though perfectly readable and it contains seven of Verne's novels:

Five Weeks in a Balloon
A Journey to the Centre of the Earth
From the Earth to the Moon
Round the Moon
Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea
Around the World in Eighty Days
The Mysterious Island

This book is a pleasure to read, I simply have to lay it on my lap and the pages fall open to the right place. It is relatively heavy so this is handy!

All in all, I would highly recommend it to anyone, as a treat to yourself or someone else. You can't put a value on a good story.
review image review image review image review image review image
on 15 January 2013
I brought the book purely for it to look nice on my bookshelf and that it does. The detail on the illustrations and the gold binding make the product beautiful to look at. The stories of course are fantastic too, particularly 20,000 leagues under the sea. Would make a lovely gift for anyone who is a Jules Verne fan. The price on Amazon is much cheaper than on the high street as well, not that surprising though to be honest.
on 17 May 2017
This is a beautiful book. Like a Sci-fi bible; I hardly dare to read it.
on 19 May 2017
Beautiful book, it feels special and would make a lovely gift.
on 22 May 2017
excellent
on 24 April 2017
Came perfectly without even a scratch, I can't want to read it.
on 18 April 2017
Beautiful looking book..
on 10 January 2012
My mum and dad gave me this for christmas, I was so happy! I had wanted to get the works of Jules Verne, but I was not expecting this... It is a visually stunning book, a very nice weight to it! I will treasure it always. I cannot recomment this enough, I will buy more for myself! I have a kindle, so when I get books I want them to be special - like this!
on 10 April 2012
I've been after a book that compliments my collection of modern classics, I have hardbacks by Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams as well as other classics from H.G. Wells, Tolkien, Homer and the Brothers Grim :) Missing was Jules Verne and when I saw this bound one I knew it would fit in well.
It looks fantastic with my others on our bookshelves and is a pleasure to read.

If your still reading this review you already know this a book you want and it wont disappoint it feels great to the touch and reminds you of what a book should be. A bit to heavy to be chucked in a bag and lugged about but then that's intentional, it deserves to be read in the same room it is shelved in and enjoyed. Easily earns its 5-Star rating!!!
on 24 June 2014
This is a handsomely bound volume containing English translations of seven of Jules Verne's "Voyages Extraordinaires" - Five Weeks in a Balloon, Around the World in Eighty Days, Journey to the Centre of the Earth, From the Earth to the Moon, Around the Moon, Twenty-Thousand Leagues Under the Sea and The Mysterious Island. It's a beautiful artefact, a pleasure to read and to look at on the shelf. The only worry if you can't actually examine it before purchase is over the quality of the translations. As is noted in the introduction, some of Verne's novels have received pretty poor treatment at the hands of "translators", especially Journey to the Centre of the Earth. There is no need to be concerned here: the quality of the translations is good, befitting such a beautifully presented volume of several of the key works of one of the fathers of science fiction.
22 Comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse