Bought this leather bound edition for my son as part of a Christmas gift and I am glad to say he was delighted with it, as was I. This is a really beautiful bound leather edition that is illustrated throughout featuring Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's renowned and 135 full-page reproductions of Gustave Dore's classic engravings from the 1867 edition. What more could one ask for as the two go hand in hand IMHO. Binding and paper quality together with print quality is truly exceptional and if you want to own a copy this is a lovely edition to go for. I have heard some discussion in the reviews about the quality of the translation form the original Italian. Well, the same can be said for most translations, however, I personally cannot find any real fault in the translation. Perhaps the academics may disagree, but one must bear in mind this book is for reading and owning and enjoying: it is not a text book for academic study. Buy it and you will love it.
on 16 July 2017
This was bought for my boyfriend, it's absolutely exquisite. It's hardback, leather, have gold picture and letter embossing, the sides of the pages are also gold. It has a book mark and beautiful illustrations inside. If you love the divine comedy it's definetly worth buying to keep and cherish.
on 13 February 2011
Now I must admit my reason for purchasing this version of la Divina Commedia was solely because of the alluring charm and ineffable beauty of the cover, and on that note, it did not disappoint. Now this is not to say I have not read the Wordsworth translation, which I have, and it is superb in itself, but I would recommend those new to the Comedy to purchase a cheaper edition of the Wordsworth translation first, or even better, borrow one from a friend or local library. If enjoyed, then purchase this paragon of beauty and keep it unspoiled. For those studying the Comedy however, I would HIGHLY suggest the verse translation of the Inferno, Purgatorio and Paradiso by Robert & Jean Hollander, for an analytical study of the Comedy, there are no rivals.

The paper quality of the book is first-rate, bar none. The book opens with an Introduction to the Comedy, covering the history of the work and its author, Dante, as well as a short Chronology of the Inferno itself, the cosmology of the Earth and hell, the theology of the Comedy, and a short history of Translation. It is also packed full of delightful illustrations.

An earlier reviewer stated that the Comedy was translated into Old English, to correct this view, it is not. The translation by Wordsworth is into what is considered Modern English.

Everybody who shares my affection for the Comedy should in my opinion, own a copy of this Leather-bound edition by B&N.

If you made it to the end of my review, then thank you most dearly for reading and I wish you all well.

=============

This is an edit to my review for the Kindle Edition. The above is for the Barnes & Nobles Leatherbound.

For those interested in purchasing the cheap Kindle edition, at 70 pence - save your money. It is a terrible version of Longfellows translation, spaces are often missed out and the lay of the text is terrible.

For instance, this is the first couple of lines exactly how they show in the Kindle edition

"Midway upon the journey of our lifeI found myself
within a forest dark. For the straightforward
pathway had been lost.
Ah me! how hard a thing it is to sayWhat was this
forest savage, rough, and stern, Which in the very
thought renews the fear"

As you can see, the lay out is terrible.
44 Comments| 97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 September 2013
a beautiful book exceeded my expections, I bought this book for a present for my grandson, He was absolutly delighted with it, I am going to buy it for myself later. I have read Dan Browns' Inferno' which has loads of references to this book.
on 8 February 2017
It's hard to review this. Obviously, the work itself is genius and this particular book is very well made but for a couple of issues. The leather on my copy felt a little loose, and the colour image in the centre of the front of the book is simply printed onto card and stuck on the front. I had to request a replacement of my order because I found several pencil marks on some of the pages, leading me to suspect my copy was second hand but repackaged as new. Order with care.
on 14 January 2012
Very nice copy, the binding is really robust and feels and looks great. The pages edges are gold and there's a gold pagekeeper within, it's all very posh and nice!

Illustrations and layout is great, too.
on 11 February 2012
This is a terrific high quality bargain!.....beautifully bound and illustrated it contains supplementary information and is a pleasure to read ....highly recommended!!
on 23 August 2015
What can I say, I am struggling to find the right words to say how beautiful this this, it is a divine book for a divine piece of work; an epic poem in an epic designed book, for years I have been looking for this piece of work in a decent binding and this is more than decent it is the best edition I have ever seen I recommend this edition to anyone who wishes to own this masterpiece.
on 1 April 2014
This was purchased for my partner for a gift, he had been looking for a good version and is very happy with this, looks very expensive.
on 22 December 2015
A masterful translation of Alighieri's masterpiece, transmitting the evocative rhetor of the original. This work is essential reading to those interested in the classic poetic genre, and throws light upon the crisis at the centre of European cosmology.