on 20 April 2016
MIND BLOWING
on 11 January 2016
Crazy love is my kind of book because Francis Chan is my kind of preacher - I believe he seeks to serve God and follow Jesus in an authentic, biblical way, led by the Holy Spirit. In the end it does not matter how we want to soften the message of the Bible into one that is more politically correct and easier on the ear. God is the ultimate judge and He made it clear in His Word how He saves and how He will judge. I believe Francis Chan captures a biblical view of and balance between grace and judgement in this work. If we want a Christianity that costs nothing and does not follow Christ in His footsteps, we will end up with a faith that saves no-one. Well done Francis Chan for standing up to be counted, even at the risk (and cost) of criticism.
on 6 August 2016
A friend gave me his copy, but as so many pages were underlined and highlighted, I got my own copy.
Crazy Love is a book that caught me from the start.
An apt title of God's Love for us, and Francis Chan crafts a message throughout just how much God loves us.
There is a lot of powerful anecdotal stories which re-emphasise the title of the book.
Its written in a very refreshing way, and as I read the stories - "crazy love" is the conclusion I came to - how can God love us in this way - its just crazy.
If you want a book that blows the cobwebs off your faith in God and to give you some invigoration, sit back, have a read and enjoy the ride.
on 23 June 2013
Crazy Love is a challenging book that challenges Christians to stop living a lukewarm Christianity which is not biblical. Francis Chan challenges us to live as Jesus would have us live, to be willing to sacrifice everything for the sake of the gospel and to become an authentic Christ follower. The American or Western Church has developed a comfortable Christianity that panders to the whims and desires of many so called Christ followers. Hearing a nice sermon, or getting something out of the worship have become outcomes for many church goers. Chan debates biblically that this is not the kind of Christianity shared about in the bible, Christ calls us to sacrifice, to love aged and love our neighbor and this requires a biblical Christianity where Christ calls us to literally give everything up to follow Him. The kind of Christianity Chan explains is biblical and for the church to make a difference in this world we need more move back to the New Testament Acts church and away from the traditional man made church norms that is so often common in the Western World. A great book and challenges every reader with the question - are you a true follower of Christ?
on 10 April 2016
From all the reviews I had expected a gripping read. It is a good book, well written, the message clear but more of a light salad than meet and potatoes. Doesn't match up to an Abba Father or an Irresistible Revolution, I would say read those first
on 8 July 2011
Crazy Love is a popular book. Its cover declares that over one million copies have been sold and it contains endorsements from Joni Eareckson Tada, Kirk Cameron and Chris Tomlin. It seems its influence has been widely felt and its message well-received.

Chan's book contains many important, yet neglected truths. He emphasizes the necessity or a proper view of who God is, describing the splendour of His creation and the glory of His attributes. He reminds us of the `vapour' that life is...in a rendition that brings to mind the first line of Rick Warren's bestselling The Purpose Driven Life: "It's not about you." He also heralds the cry that "the greatest good on this earth is God...God's one goal for us is Himself." (62)

The core of Chan's book is its insight and criticism of average Christianity. He rightly diagnoses professing Christians of living distracted lives, lives full of things other than God and barren in true spirituality. In a landmark chapter, he has the courage to make the most devastating statement in the book, one our culture desperately needs: "As I see it, a lukewarm Christian is an oxymoron; there's no such thing. To put it plainly, churchgoers who are "lukewarm" are not Christians. We will not see them in heaven." (84) In one sentence, Chan sounds the death-knell of most of professing Christendom.

While Chan's book is good, it fails at one point, perhaps the most important point of all: not the diagnosis, but the prescription. After a breath-taking analysis of `lukewarm Christianity' Chan encourages readers to seek God and "focus more on Christ" (104) in the final chapters. However his call is missing one major component: an emphasis on the necessity and efficacy of the sacrifice of Christ. There is little or no mention of repentance, of the Gospel, or of sacrifice for sin. The omission seems glaring in pages which seem to offer little more than generalities...and which could be fatally understood as encouraging a type of works-salvation. While Chan's analysis of contemporary Christianity was wonderful, his prescribed cure seems less so. This is disheartening and dangerous and may leave the reader disappointed, with more questions than answers, knowing the sickness but not the solution.

The only solution to lukewarm Christianity is to truly understand that Christ was not lukewarm for us. Sin was so serious that He must pay the ultimate price. The cross that divided history is the only hope for fallen man. Only when we are illuminated by the light of that cross will we receive the grace that can truly make us "hazard our lives" for God...in response to His "crazy love" for us.
33 Comments| 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 June 2014
Any book that helps and encourages people to take charge of they're on journey with their Father God gets 5stars from me.
It's made me stop and assess where I really am in my own Faith and relationship with God. It's not always a comfortable read, but I wouldn't expect it to other ways what's the point.
I'm away to reevaluate a few things in my life.
If your comfortable in your nice life this book is not for you!
If you want to keep moving forward pick this up you won't regret it. +++
on 24 June 2014
You cannot read this book and not be challenged by the message that Francis Chan is trying to get across to his readers!
It is a book that you can keep going back too, it is a book that you have to respond too.
on 25 June 2013
This is faith-fuelling book, try and not read it like any other novel, but take time really reading and praying about it. Watch and record how it changes your life.
on 19 June 2010
I recently heard Francis Chan speak at my Church so bought his book. I do suggest listening to how he speaks (try YouTube for videos). Knowing the tone of his voice and how passionately he speaks will bring the book to life for you too. It did make me think about my faith at lot more and has made my relationship with God stronger. I do not agree however with the other reviewer that he is a "fundamentalist" Christian.