on 8 October 2017
The study notes are excellent and the leather cover feels nice, but the paper feels a little thinner than other bibles I have and there is no line on line printing so you get a lot of text showing through (see picture). I have othe Crossway bibles at half this price which do have line on line printing. The study notes are excellent and the font size is good so I will probably keep this bible but overall I am disappointed at the quality for the price.
review image
on 28 September 2017
Excellent quality, good font size, and the study notes are superb.
on 2 August 2017
A must have - very good
on 29 October 2017
Brilliant Brillant brilliant!!!!!!

Has all you could want or need in a Bible .
on 29 September 2017
Excellent.
on 14 September 2017
Fantastic bible great
on 29 November 2013
I looked at many Bibles but chose this one because of the study notes by the highly respected John MacArthur. I was not disappointed and I highly recommend it.
on 19 January 2013
I have benefitted enormously from John Macarthur's Study Bible and highly recommend it for all. In particular, I feel that he always exegetes* the passage rather than importing in his own theology. He provides useful cultural, historical and linguistic insights into the passage in question to enlighten it and not nullify its meaning. His writing is concise and ordered but not lacking in meaning, and although some technical vocabulary is required, by and large someone who has been in the word for about a year should understand it. There is little theological jargon and any that remains can be looked up. Perhaps best of all is his dedication to "dress Scripture with Scripture"- i.e. to constantly provide biblical references to support his exegesis* and passages which are similar in meaning for extra reading.

I was also thankful that it has been made in the English Standard Version, which is arguably the best translation, and as a literal translation, necessary for studying the Bible. (As opposed to just reading it).

Negatively, he (as mentioned by other reviewers) does not provide much commentry upon certain passages, particularly in the Old Testament. I felt his commentry upon Jeremiah was lacking. Furthermore, the only disappointing commentry in and of itself was his commentry on 1 Corinthians 14. I am not a pentecostal, nor a charismatic, and, knowing John Macarthur's rejection of the gift of tongues I was interested to investigate his claims. I didn't feel that he had taken the full truth of the passage to the open but instead had introduced his own opinion.

Nevertheless, a quality book worthy of having. If I was to have any one commentry it would be his, and I am thankful to God that this book exists.

God Bless you all.

*exegesis is the extraction of the meaning of the text. eisegesis is its opposite which is importing a meaning into the text.
on 12 February 2015
Outstanding. Simply outstanding.

The leather is nice though slightly granular like bonded leather, but the overall quality is exceptional.

It begins to hold itself open from about Joshua to Revelation.
review image review image review image review image review image
on 21 February 2014
Top, top author and pastor. a little light in the old testament teaching notes, but wow its excellent in every other way. I have bought two copies as I tend to give my bibles away to those I meet on the train or when I am out, so I found the price of this bible welcoming.