on 22 August 2017
Excellent
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 25 July 2011
Other reviewers are entirely correct to emphasise that this a textbook for Christians to learn apologetics from, rather than a book addressed to non-Christians. However, it is not *entirely* inappropriate for a non-believer, especially as it's probably the best Christian apologetics book there is. I read it as an atheist and it did a lot towards my conversion. The most important thing I can say about this book -to the Christian and non-Christian alike- is ignore the first chapter. This suggests treating Bible as infallible which to me is irrational, futile and very off-putting. But from the third chapter onwards it is very reasonable and just keeps getting better.

It gives a very detailed account of the case for God, in addition to other central apologetic concerns. It's not exhaustive, there are plenty of other topics that need to be covered, but they can be found elsewhere (look up my listmania list). Yes it's not perfect, there's plenty of things in there I disagree with, but the central argument is solid. Speaking as a philosophy graduate, there aren't any major fallacies- contrary to what other reviewers have exhorted so emotively. If someone thinks they've found a fallacy why don't they spell it out in detail?

Finally, if you're unsure whether to purchase the book a lot of the same material can be read in articles available on Craig's official website. Here he also responds to e-mailed criticisms of his work on a weekly basis.
on 20 November 2010
I am an atheist and I bought this book because an evangelical friend of mine suggested that it would answer all my question. But like what other reviewers have pointed out this book will not convert an agnostic or atheist to a believer but is intended only for Christians to solidify their beliefs and to come up with "intelligent" answers when debating with an atheist. Didnt serve my purpose but all in all an interesting read.
55 Comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon 23 August 2015
As a scientist I have had to resolve in my mind the evidence for God in modern science, and indeed there is plenty from the big bang, through fine tuning of the universe, to the sheer impossibility of cellular self-organisation, and the strong evidence from information theory and the gene code. I dislike the blinkered arrogance of the New Atheists in ignoring all the evidence from other disciplines except the theory of Neo-Darwinism, and their inadequacy in debate with logicians and theologians like William Lane Craig. This book is quite weighty, a theological textbook, but accessible to anyone wanting to weigh the evidence. Apologetics does not just fret about the self-indulgent angst of blinkered scientists but examines a much wider evidence base and this book is surely worth a read to see the Christian rational arguement very well presented.
on 1 August 2014
Every now and then in life we come on a book which ignites the mind. "Reasonable Faith" is one of those books.
on 8 April 1998
I found this to be one of the better Christian apologetics books out there. However, this book seems to be heavily geared toward the Christian reader; I initially believed that it would be directed toward skeptics. I found that the author placed a lot of emphasis on personal experience. The arguments are well laid out and very well organized, but several of his ideas have been refuted by various authors and speakers. Although, as an atheist, I certainly did not agree with many of Dr. Craig's points, I enjoyed reading his ideas.
11 Comment| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 3 June 2013
WLC is a serious Christian thinker, fearless in his willingness to debate Christianity with any Atheist willing to do so. This book is a serious piece of work, covering many of the reasons to believe in God, whilst also considering the objections to faith. The history of apologetics is extensively covered with a very wide bibliography.
Reasonable Faith is not a light read, but it is a great book for anyone interested in Theism, Christianity and reasons to believe.
I thoroughly recommend this to anyone who has to defend the faith in their walk with God.
on 25 March 2009
As others have said, I was also drawn to this book after seeing a series of debates by William Lane Craig. However, as an agnostic, I felt like this wasn't really meant for me but rather it was meant for Christians to reinforce their fate and allow them to develop a positive case for the existence of God based on actual arguments.

I don't think this book can convert an atheist to theism although I personally found it interesting and useful for a better understanding of the Christian case for God.

My choice to rate it with 5 stars is based on what I think the value that this book may have for Christians, it's intended audience. A non-believer will certainly find this book interesting but not necessarily convincing.
44 Comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 June 2017
This book is ideal for those spiritually seeking or spiritually skeptical. Debra Rufini - Author of 'The Artist's Page.'
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 26 March 2013
Having just concluded the book I felt obliged to review it and give my appreciation for such a fantastic book. Naturally, as some reviewers have commented, it is not a book which will instantaneously make a Christian out of a non-Christian, but I do feel that the arguments presented are very compelling and Dr. Craig makes a point out of establishing them over the course of many pages. Perhaps I cannot comment, as a believer in Christ, yet it is necessary to understand that it is, as he introduces it himself, a book for the student 'in Seminary'.

The book, note wisely, is not concerned at all with the 'negative' aspect of apologetics (i.e. explaining the problem of evil etc.) but rather the positive aspects (i.e. the arguments for God's existence). Finally, I would just encourage you to buy this book and read it with an open mind!