Customer reviews

ASP.NET MVC 4 and the Web API: Building a REST Service from Start to Finish
Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 April 2014
One reason I've chosen Amazon as a preferred retailer in the past is that they ask what my advertising preferences are, and have until now been smart enough to respect those preferences. I hate receiving any form of unsolicited email, especially advertising. For the avoidance of doubt - and especially for those deliberately-obtuse self-styled marketing "gurus" with bizarre self-serving interpretations of the word "unsolicited" - 'unsolicited' means I didn't explicitly ask for it, and your email is not directly about a purchase I have made.

In the case of this book (and one other I bought on the same day from the same publisher) my purchase immediately resulted in my being emailed a "Promotional Code", that enables me to spend more money, but must be used by yadda yadda.... In other words, it's exactly the same type of annoying and unsolicited upselling that physical high street stores like HMV used to engage in endlessly right before they went bust. It's a shame to see that the 'brilliant' marketers that helped HMV, Jessops and other once-leading high street retailers to go out of business now seem to be 'helping' online retailers do the same.

I only need to be bitten once to never purchase from a seller again. This is the last book I'll buy from Apress. I've never had this problem when buying from Wrox or any other vendor. If this is a more general change in spamming policy by Amazon, I'll bin Kindle altogether. It's that simple.

This isn't a good marketing strategy, Amazon or Apress. Trust me on this. Just because you send spam from an email address that you have the cheek to announce doesn't accept incoming email, doesn't mean that customers won't find a way to express our displeasure when you engage in blatant spamming.

No doubt there will be some who complain this review isn't about the book itself. However, reviews are also meant to be about the whole experience of dealing with the vendor and author in question, not just the product itself. In this case, the consumer experience has been less than optimal. If like me you hate spam, I suggest giving this title a miss and choosing one from another publisher. Hopefully one that will respect your marketing preferences and not engage in pointless upselling that serves only to alienate the consumer.
on 16 January 2014
I was looking for a good step by step guide on how to set-up a REST service using Web API. For anyone doing the same, this isn't it. It started off well with a good introduction to REST, just what I needed. Then contained some step by step examples on how to design a domain model for services and coding this in C#, great so far, I was following along in Visual Studio. Then it went into how to set up best of breed 3rd party tools such as Ninject, NHibernate etc., which I have no problem with, but all of a sudden stopped providing step by step examples and started describing, loosely, what he had done. Leaving my solution half complete and unable to Build. It then moved into Securing a Service, by this time I had completely given up on my solution, and downloaded his working example and was working through the book by reverse engineering his solution.

Not impressed at all, I don't recommend this book. When I purchased the book on Amazon UK there was one reviewer giving this book 5 stars, but if you look a little deeper, in Amazon.com, there's much better insight into this book where people have had the same experience as myself. I've given this book 2 stars for a good intro, but it only just deserves that.
on 29 January 2014
Too much going on in such a small book. It s supposed to be about the Web Api but a lot of unrelated subjects are half covered and the end result is that you dont get the things you need, you are just lost in a lot of irrelevant details. Sorry to say but it does look like one of these books written having a quick quid in mind. Needs to be rewritten having a specific purpose and a more limited scope when it comes to covering other tools.
on 15 March 2014
Perfect guide for beginners in ASP.NET MVC. Provides a good overview of technologies and tools used in an ASP.NET MVC 4 and the Web API - REST. It smoothly introduces the trainee in a wide variety of concepts (dependency injection, unit testing etc) so that the reader can then refer to additional/more specialized documentation.
Well structured example provided and source code can be found in github.
on 12 December 2015
Great little book fast informative info on web api and rest. Lots of good practice. Also works through making a real world app.
on 27 September 2014
Great book until chapter 5 then the wheels fell off! you are pretty much left to work the rest out yourself.
on 31 May 2013
Small book (131 pages), and contains much on RESTful services in general. Web API part of this book is therefore small. But this is an easy book to get through and delivers enough information to get you started on the subject of REST and Web API. From there, you can go do further investigation of the areas you are interested in.