on 1 February 2017
EDIT: I've left my original feedback below. I was really struggling with this book. However, now I'm a little further on, it is really quite good. I'm going to give it one more star. I still find that a lot of the examples don't work without some effort.

Regret, this book will always fill me with regret. I was an EE virgin. I was lured into a relationship by this books suggestive wording “Beginning”. I find that I have lost my virginity to a book that is obviously for readers of much more experience, ones that have already been with the other books. I feel that in my naivety I have been taken advantage of. Stories of history and new features, it showed me how to write code that would not compile. Parts missed for clarity. Intimidated, I could not get it to run, it kept coming up short. Broken, I’ve resorted to trawling the internet to try and find a more understanding partner.
on 20 February 2015
This is an excellent book for learning Java EE. Like many I've always wanted to get to grips with EE but always found it was like trying to break in to a high-walled guarded and gated building (not that I'd know anything about that but just to use an example). I've bought books on the subject in the past but they've always been these 1300+ page tomes where unless you know what you want to look for it's impossible to read or approach, not least because of their size, but because of the dry and reference like way in which they're written. In this book the author takes you through some history, explains why things work the way in which they do and uses simple examples to detail some of the key areas and features of EE 7. This isn't the be all and end all of EE books as no doubt there's a lot more to master and learn upon completion, but if you're looking to finally break into this elusive mysterious area of Java with a good grounding to expand upon then I don't think you can get much better than to start with this.
on 5 November 2013
I believe the book covers everything we need to know to start creating solutions with the Java EE framework.
I'd recommend this book for beginners like me who cannot grasp very well the concept of Java EE and find it hard to compare it to other frameworks like Spring MVC or ASP.NET MVC.
on 19 March 2014
It is very good introduction to Java EE. I use it to build project, and it really helps.
I find chapter about JPA very useful and deep. For me it was very good choice.
on 5 August 2016
I heard Antonio speak at Devoxx London 2016 and was impressed with the way he put ideas across.

So I bought the book and I like it.

Does it do everything? No. If you read all the reviews you will see some people complaining about this or that. Though I'm not sure why.

Read the book, do the exercises and you will know a lot more about JEE7. I feel my money was well spent.
on 22 May 2015
Being new to Java EE, this book helped me grasp all its concepts. I read almost all of it, apart from the JSF part which doesn't interest me. I appreciate Antonio's way of writing. He really keeps a nice level of abstraction while explaining all the core concepts. I highly recommend this to anyone new to Java EE 7.