Customer reviews

on 17 November 2012
I bought this book because I moved into a role using ASP.NET and C# although I'd never used these before. I found this book to be very well written, without the jokey patronising style of some other "Beginning ..." books I have bought. Although a lot of information can be found via the internet, it tends to be very tightly topic-focused, can be wrong, incomplete or very out-of-date, and what this book does is to give the reader a broad framework into which more specific pieces of info can be fitted.It does give a very good overview of the fundamentals, including, for example using Visual Studio - e.g. I'd found out how to create a project but I didn't know the difference between that and a website, and why a co-workers site generated .designer.cs files but mine didn't. I've by no means covered the whole 800+ pages, but enough to confidently recommend this as an intro for a capable developer new to ASP.
on 4 June 2014
I would highly recommend this book if you want to get started with ASP.NET development in C#.

It is written in an excellent style which is both technically competent and easy to understand. Although it is an introductory text, it actually covers a wide range of subjects related to ASP.NET. This book enabled me to build a website with secure logins, consistent themes, and effective access to a SQL Server database, and I have still only properly read about half of the chapters!

As with any modern technology, there is a lot to learn with ASP.NET, and you will probably have to search the thorough online documentation to achieve everything you need to. What this book gives you is a great understanding of the fundamentals so you are then able to comprehend and make good use of the online documentation which would otherwise be overwhelming.

Definitely one of my better purchases!
on 4 April 2013
Very Detailed and easy to follow examples with descriptions. Whether you want to get in depth knowledge or use the book as a reference it is a must buy book,
on 26 April 2015
This is quite a good book for people who are starting development on ASP.NET with C#.
My only issue is the index at the end which is poorly constructed and very difficult to navigate: I had to put post-its on all the main chapters and on the subjects that are the most relevant to me.
Besides this, I would highly recommend the book to anyone starting with ASP.NET with C# or anyone who already has some knowledge but need a good and reliable source of information, instead of navigating endlessly on the numerous websites and blog on the same subject.
on 10 June 2013
Very well written book full of good practical examples, ideal for anybody who is used to using ASP.Net 2.0 for example and needs a quick guide into the facilities in 4.5, as well as acting as a revision tool for those things you had forgotten.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 February 2014
Excellent starting point. The issues or problems are shown and discussed from different sides for better understanding. It helped me a lot.