on 10 August 2017
The more I read of this book the more problems I find. Firstly it seems like there is a hell of a lot of fluff designed to make it have an impressive doorstop heft that could easily be cut. Do I really need to know so much history about the problems that led to particular design choices in C#? Basically no, I'd rather get to the meat of the solution. Which brings me to another problem - you often find that the author walks through all kinds of circuitous permutations before arriving at a point of saying something along the lines of 'of course, C# has far easier ways to do that now. Here's how..'. Why not just tell me the easy way first and leave the rest as historical background?! I'm sure that for all of these I don't need to know x older ways of doing something that have now been superceded. At least tell me the newest, simplest way first and then leave me to read about the older, crumbier way if I choose.

Worse than above is that there are mistakes - which in a coding book is pretty unforgiveable. I buy a book like this because I want to have a single comprehensive resource that is correct - and when that turns out not to be the case it means I can waste minutes thinking I am being thick when in fact there are mistakes that should never have got through to a published book. And so I go to look for errata on the Apress website - and there is none to be found!

Also the coding samples are sometimes missing or don't match the book.

I could go on but you get the picture. Crumby book I think.
on 26 April 2017
Feels highly comprehensive, as if the author provides just the right amount of introduction to all subjects. I really feel confident after reading this book that I am ready to start developing applications.
on 5 December 2012
It's been some time since I read a book as well written and complete as this. Andrew Troelsen has a knack of teaching something comprehensively without sounding too pedantic. I'd say this is a must read for any self respecting C# developer. Whether you're new to C# or experienced, there's something for everyone in it.
on 9 June 2013
I am reviewing the Kindle version. As a Kindle book it suffers from some formatting issues with the tables and diagrams. They are very small on the Kindle screen making it difficult to see. I have to review these on the PC (Kindle app) to read. That is the reason for 4 stars and not 5
The book itself is very good, starts off with an overview of where C# fits in .NET and then proceeds to cover the elements of C# as a language and how the language elements fit into .NET. The style of writing keeps you interested
The following sections then cover .NET in greater detail and how the individual classes can be used.
The book is a very technical book and does not spend time on how to write loops or the benefits of object orientation. Instead it is a book on how to use the C# language in the .NET environment (which can include other operating systems)
on 13 March 2017
The book from Amazon contained only Chapters 1-19, and not the information I was looking for,.
on 4 April 2015
Andrew, this is the best C# book I have ever read. I have gone through a number of books on C# and other programming languages, but none come this close to clarity of explanations, thorough coverage and a well organised approach and flow. I find as I read, many questions pop up in mind, and a few lines later, you answer them. Well done, this is a mark of a true professional.
on 2 April 2013
Coming from Microsoft SQL 2012 books, where examples in the first chapters included complex code from say 10 chapters later and you couldn't understand anything, I find this book very very well written. It has a very relaxed tone, with small jokes, well constructed examples and of course very interesting contents.
You can even download the exercises as Visual Studio solutions, from Apress website. Very cool!
on 10 November 2013
I enjoyed reading this book. The coverage of C# language is quite in-depth. In addition, excellent introduction to topics like WPF, ASP.NET, WCF. The theory is mixed with many hads-on examples. Quality of text is great, haven't seen any typos or line of code that gave error. Recommend it to anyone who has some knowledge of C# and Visual Studio and wants to get up to date with current technology.
on 1 September 2015
This book was not at all what I expected or wanted to learn the language, but I learned enough from it to get a C# job so it must be doing something right!
With the release of C# 6 and .NET 4.6 I would not recommend purchasing a now out-of-date textbook, though.
on 27 July 2013
This book is fantastic if you are learning C# and want to gain a good understanding of the language and its capabilities. Also good to have as a reference as it explains the ins and outs more than information on the web.