on 30 January 2013
I have read a few introductory books on PHP ( notably the Robin Nixon one and a Dummies book by A. Harris. ) but this book has taught me a lot.

I have read the whole book now apart from the last 2 chapters and would say that I certainly feel a lot more confident in my coding abilities. The author covers a lot of ground and writes confidently and concisely about the various subjects. I was actually quite surprised to learn so much about the eco system that is PHP having already read two books on the subject ! There is information and insight that presumably is the result of years of practical experience .

I found the chapter on Jquery to be a tad short, having read about Javascript quite extensively, but it was a good over view of the subject. It is important for server side programmers to know about client side coding too I guess.

I have the PHP manual ( a searchable CHM file ) along with the PDF version of this book on my Ipad. and together they form a formidable resource.

The book also opened my eyes with respect to MySQL features I had never come across before, again despite having read 2 books on the Subject ! Namely Triggers, Stored Programs, the mysql tables and INFORMATION_SCHEMA etc.

Quite how the author came up with a decision on what to include ( or more importantly what not to include ) in the book is a slight mystery, I can only assume it has covered enough of what I need to know. It could be that it's just because of the continually evolving and vast nature of the language that the author has had difficulty in creating a definitive reference, It would be good to have suggestions as to where to go next having read this book. I am thinking that I will probably start to learn about the various frameworks , e.g.. Zend which are covered briefly in this text.

So in summary I would definitely recommend this book as required reading before setting about a PHP & MySQL project. I really think that it's important to have a good overall knowledge as well as to be able to learn along the way.
on 23 December 2013
I purchased this because it has everything in that I would like to learn, I found the internal detail is excellent and does cover everything, although, it's not very appealing to starters wanting to learn PHP and MySQL. I myself shall be looking at buying another book as I cannot learn from this as I'm a beginner, it's more for people with knowledge of PHP and MySQL. I shall keep this book as a reference for when I have learnt PHP as I find it's very useful.

*Id not recommend this for beginners in PHP & MySQL unless you've a bit of knowledge in the programming.
on 24 February 2014
The first 100 pages of this book explains how to install PHP and MySQL, and go into far too much detail (for beginners) about configuring the environment.

This book is not, repeat not, written with beginners in mind.

If you are a beginner buy the book Practical PHP and MySQL Website Databases by Adrian West.
on 27 October 2011
Everything you need to know about PHP and MySQL. I got next day delivery even though I chose the standard delivery option, so very impressed. Recommended item and seller.
on 9 June 2016
Great product, as described, good quality and arrived on time with no problems will buy again.