on 18 July 2012
A note of warning with this product, the others reviewers say this products comes with a CD Rom,IT DOES NOT so don't be mis-led as i was. All you get is the book and Amazon won't help you, do beware its just the book your getting. Its a lot of book but at £46 expensive.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 15 February 2012
Looking for the CD-ROM? This is the book only. The version with the CD-ROM is ISBN 1429259515.

Universe 9th Edition with CDROM.
on 17 June 2013
This was very useful in my first year of University, but hasn't been very useful beyond that. I wouldn't recommend buying it to a University (Physics/Astrophysics) student, there are far more useful books you can spend your student loan on (have a look at 'An Introduction to Modern Astrophysics').

For non-students, this is a fairly basic qualitative text with not much mathematics, so it's accessible and is fairly comprehensive. it covers a wide range of topics, but not in much depth.
VINE VOICEon 23 December 2010
For an amateur astronomer like me this book has more information than I will ever need...but when I want to learn about for example the seasons and the Earth's tilt, the book has great diagrams of the mechanism. It is meant for a degree course ... but I think it's superb for any one who wants DETAIL...a lot of books I have lloked at have nice pictures but not enough on the detail
on 9 October 2011
This book is a wonderful read. As a recommended text book for an Astronomy course, it excels. My knowledge of the subject was " That's the Moon and the bright points are Stars " but this book gives you an insight into the Universe and our Solar System to a level I couldn't have believed before buying it. The Photo's and additional support are second to none. Thoroughly recommended. As there are two versions of this product, one with an included planetarium cd and one without. I would make sure the version you are ordering has the disc. I didn't and the cd is another £[] plus to buy separately.
on 18 August 2012
While the actual information provided in this book as very comprehensive and detailed I sent it back. I was very dissapopinted with the poor quality of the paper and cover which was nothing more than a free shop catalogue. Being 800 pages it is heavy and would get tatty with very little effort. I was also not keen on the actual graphic style. The text, fonts and colours were very confusing. So many different styles, sizes and colours on one page. The pages are very cluttered and difficult to read. That together with the poor paper makes the book hard to flick through and with so much information it would be hard to use. It's such a pity because the book contains such brilliant information. I hope the publishers will rethink the presentation. Perhaps a hard cover with better quality paper and maybe even a spiral bound book would be soooo much better. For the price and quality it only gets ** two stars for content.
on 29 February 2012
Why are so many university introductory courses in Astronomy requiring this book?

I have just read through the first 3 chapters and am stunned by its comprehensiveness and quality. Just look at the general structure of a chaper;
- a brief introduction to the chapter's topics
- the main course, with themes nicely developed and linked
- a refresher at the end
- test questions (answers in the back, of course)
- some practical examples for you to try out (e.g. work out where the moon crosses the ecliptic - why is this important? read the chapter on solar eclipses!)
- more advanced questions
- and further reading

Good enough, you may say, but the points are reinforced with beautiful pictures and diagrams, and there are plenty of box sections for expansion or further details. There is occasional humour and plenty of anecdotes to keep your interest.

Best of all, the maths is ALMOST harmless. Yes, there are various formulae which are inescapable in an undergraduate book on astronomy but in the box sections they work through some useful examples so you become adept at their use.

Finally - if you wish, there are further materials including animated diagrams available through a subscription on the internet to help support and consolidate the course materials. However, the book is so good I doubt you will need them.

Brian Cox - eat your heart out!
on 8 November 2012
First the bad: The paper is just .. too thin. The whole book tends to wrap around your hands while you are turning pages - so you definitely cannot read it in bed :)
It has a lot of pages so it bends on the bookshelf unless kept lying down.

The good: The amount of information inside is just great and is really nicely explained and ordered. I used this book for my university studies, and found it helpful with all the examples and detailed approach to the matter of study.

If you are not a nitpick as far as the (pages) paper goes, I recommend it for any astronomy interest, amateur and students likewise.
on 30 September 2013
Universe was purchased for my son's university studies as a recommended text. First impressions are that I would like to read it as well. I enjoyed reading short sections of the book. Our common criticism is that the soft back version is rather flimsy. It's a large, weighty book and I would recommend buying the hard back version if available. The CD-ROM was received and works.
on 12 October 2012
Bad Shipping

I first ordered this for delivery to my Thai address 27/06/12 nothing complained and they sent another finally arrived 01/10/12. This is similar to my experience with other GB companies use a cheap courier or phone service, causing customer ill feeling. The packaging (box C2) was a little flimsy and the book was somewhat battered.

As an aside on Amazon if you buy from another company you may rate them but not Amazon - is that fair?

Poor binding

The publisher has produced a very large, heavy 800+ page book with great printing and colour illustrations then done flimsy binding my coursee ends in May next year I expect the book will be in a sad state.

Good Content

A brilliant expose of Astronomy as it now is.

The rating reflects the content only, not the flimsyness of the binding or the shipping problems