on 11 October 2010
There are some wonderful pictures but this is offset with some average ones.

It is a shame that by its very nature this is restricted to what it can show - historical events without pictures, for example, are forced to be overlooked, but that is not a criticism of the book at all. It makes up for this difficultly in a wonderful manner.

If anything, the pictures of older events are much better - better placed and more engaging - than the modern ones. This may be the result of an apparent editorial decision to try and show pictures that were less well known. This means that for recent events (fall of the Berlin Wall onwards) the pictures show less of a dramatic picture and sometimes verge on the abstract.

There is also an erratic level of surrounding details, some events have several pages of detail explaining what happened and its significance, others are given a few paragraphs. Neither is necessarily bad, but the inconsistency becomes annoying as the choice of what to give detail to didn't line up with my interests. I would have been happier if everything got a page or everything got three pages.

Overall, an interesting book with some fantastic pictures. It is let down by editing choices as it gets more modern but still worth buying.
on 8 August 2009
I really like this book. It does not just show you the pictures it gives detailed iinformation on the history at the time and the photo itself. Not too much info not too little. I bought this for myself and I am very pleased with it.
on 13 August 2010
I bought this book for a friend's birthday but didn't want to give it to her as I liked it myself! It is big and sturdy, with great photos and explanations of some key events over the past 100 or so years. Really recommended
on 30 December 2016
Lovely book if you like to read and have an interest in photography and history combined. Reason for the 4 (and not 5) stars, is it arrived and was slightly battered around the edges. It had good packaging but must have had a
Bumpy ride. Not the senders fault. Wasn't bad enough that I couldn't give as a present but wasn't in perfect condition.
on 28 November 2011
I purchased this book as a present for my nephew. I am delighted with it. The pictures tell their own stories. It is lovely having a book that you can pick up and browse any time. My nephew is really pleased with it. I love it.
on 17 January 2012
... there was only one of these books when i ordered it as a gift .... but i looked at it first it was brilliant and the recipient was very complimentary ... i will be putting this on my wish list !
on 17 April 2012
Excellent buy... I bought this for a news hungry teenager's birthday and he loved it!,
Highly recommend this for a hard copy book collection.
on 5 December 2016
Arrived on time, was much bigger than I expected it to be, cover a little tatty at edges as it said, nothing major. Good book.
on 11 September 2014
Bought as a gift, but I had a peek first! Lovely book
on 6 January 2016