on 29 January 2016
Very informative, excellent reference book, very pleased
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 23 July 2015
As far as I know there is no other book on this subject: for that reason - 3 stars. However, the photographs could have been better quality. If you are going to produce the only book on a subject, you should make it the best it can be. Maybe there's a gap in the market for a rival...
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 4 September 2014
Excellent
on 3 June 2014
If I ever get famous enough to be interviewd by PRIVATE EYE for their Me and My Spoons section, I'm quids in!
on 22 March 2011
This is truly a masterpiece. At points I had to restrict my burgeoning semi from bursting into a fully fledged wife-botherer. Yannes' gentle introduction to the world of niche Nazi cutlery has the skilfully written veneer of an expert, nay a genius, who clearly has too much time on his hands and little, if any, actual human contact. Indeed, the author's tempestuous soul is reflected in his work, shining through with descriptions of spoons which are of such intricacy and beauty that I am left shocked and appalled that the tome has yet to stand proudly on every bookshelf in the land.

If you are bored of train-spotting and desperately searching for the next pointless past-time to fill the massive expanse of time before you crawl cold and alone into your final and welcome breaths then this is the book for you.

Alas I must end on a tiny gripe which justifies my unfortunate award of four stars to Mr Yannes. The sole criticism one can find to inflict upon this work would be that it is too short for any true Asperger's sufferer to fully enjoy.

Otherwise a pleasant read and I wait with anticipation for the sequels (known by true fans simply as Forks and Knives) which cannot come soon enough. Please contact the History Channel and beg them to commission a television serialisation.
0Comment| 72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 15 November 2013
At last, a book about the 3rd Reich that doesn't just concentrate on their questionable practices during the war, but instead reveals to the world their tireless work to bring the art of utensil embellishment to a wider audience. I read with a tear in my eye the chapter on Joseph Goebbels many sleepless nights attempting to etch Mein Kampf on a small sundae spoon, ultimately to no avail, and the fascinating but heated debate between Benno von Arent and Heinz Auerswald on the inclusion of sugar tongs in the spoon arsenal left me exhausted, but wanting more. I have not been able to put this book down, although this is largely due to my chronic arthritis, but I can heartily recommend it to any serious spatulologist.
22 Comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 16 October 2013
Having already purchased Mr Yannes' comprehensive "Guide to Third Reich Cutlery", I decided to invest in this more specialised volume. It is an indispensable guide for the more discerning collector of Nazi memorabilia. Say what you like about them, those National Socialists certainly knew a thing or two about spoons. My personal favourites are the Eagle's Nest novelty souvenir teaspoons. One can imagine visiting fascists, such as Benito Mussolini, the Mitford sisters and the Prince of Wales, returning home happily with a dozen of these in their overnight bags. One shudders to think how the course of the Second World War might have been altered if Herr Hitler had not decided to divert so much of Germany's industrial resources into the production of spoons. I look forward to further volumes from Mr Yannes - Egg Whisks of the Waffen SS, for example, or a Guide to Gestapo Kitchenware.
33 Comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 25 March 2011
Having lived my life with a keen interest in both Nazis AND spoons (surely the most versatile of the three implements that make up the cutlery trinity) I never thought that my two passions could ever meet with such beautiful symmetry. But now, thanks to this amazing book, the circles of interest conjoin in a staggering venn diagram with Mr Yannes' title sitting in the middle like a wonderful pearl.

Whether it be Eichmann's egg spoon or the large soup blower of Grand Admiral Karl Doenitz, there is a nazi spoon for everyone within these pages...

Outstanding.
11 Comment| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 17 March 2011
The author's vision in creating such a comedy masterpiece is to be applauded. How many of us have ever wondered what Goebbels used to stir his tea? Or about Adolf's preferred soup-ladling implement? The sheer range of spoons discussed in this seminal work are sure to satisfy the most spoon-deprived historian. See how the spoons shine in their display cases, each one once lovingly cleaned by a Polish gypsy.
on 17 March 2011
If you have ever been kept up at night by the thought "Hmmm, I wonder what collectible spoons the Nazis had" then this is the book for you!

Alternatively, the preferable option having had that thought or especially if you are the author of the book, would be to check yourself in for some urgent treatment. I would steer clear of any spoon-based therapy though.