on 25 September 2016
I started reading this series when I was 10/11 and I really enjoyed reading about the boy genius/semi-evil mastermind. I guess you could say we grew up together. I read books 1-6 pretty much as soon as they came out, enjoying Artemis' adventures. I'm now 25, and my tastes have changed quite a bit, which means Artemis is now a good 10 years younger than me and I don't enjoy his adventures as much. I'm glad that all the gang returned for the story and all. I do feel a need to finish the series and I do own the eighth and last book in the series, so I will finish it at some point but it won't be my next read.
on 5 July 2014
i like this book on the whole it was fast paced laugh aloud one lines but when i finshed it i was irritated to find that it said puffin books for boys and showing photos of percy jackson artemis fowl and other books i have enjoyed i am a 9 year old girl and i feel very upset at puffin books advert as it is very sexist that is about it
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 May 2017
My son loved this and read it in couple of days.
on 12 April 2017
i luv da book
on 30 July 2010
I love the Artemis Fowl series but this is a disappointing addition to the series. Artemis, ridden by guilt, has devised a system to combat global warming but in fact is in great danger from the Atlantis Complex - a multiple personality and OCD syndrome that is endangering his sanity when his fairy friends need his deviousness most.

The book itself acknowledges that it doesn't follow the usual pattern so don't expect any resolution. Consequently, it's surprisingly long considering this. Ultimately, this is a very funny read - Orion is a highly entertaining character and Foaly is his usual sarcastic self. Other than that I am waiting for the next one to resolve many of the events in this one.
VINE VOICEon 21 August 2010
Spoilers thar be!

I don't know why Artemis Fowl 7 is so below-par and underwhelming. Perhaps Eoin Colfer was under obligation to finish to a deadline before developing any fully-formed ideas or something. Nothing in this book really satisfied me, I'm sorry to say.

Artemis is in Iceland preparing for a demonstration of a new Earth-saving eco-device when a deep space probe falls out of the sky on top of him and his friends. This results in a slow-boiling mental illness coming to a pop and Artemis' personality being succeed by "Orion". With much of their resources depleted or lost, Orion and his usual team of Butler, Juliet, Holly, Foaly and Mulch must find out the whos and whys of the devastating crash.

Colfer's first and foremost failure here is the fact that he just doesn't have enough story to sustain an epic adventure, even (and especially, I should say) one told as quickly as this. The plot is delivered in several, fast-moving, large chunks with very little time for significant development or even a single decent twist. It's all very straight-forward and as with all fast-paced novels/movies coherence is sacrificed for speed. I was frequently lost and confused as to what was going on. I'll also pin some of this blame on the fact that Colfer simply did not describe many scenes very well. On top of this the book ends with nearly all plot threads completely open-ended and multiple unanswered questions.

The globe-trotting nature of the previous books is absent. The story only superficially takes us to Iceland, Cancun and Venice. Most of it takes place inside a submersible pod with very, very little opportunity for epic or exciting scenes.

I hear that Artemis Fowl 8 will be the last one. Colfer seriously needs to get his act together and go out with a bang, not a whimper. He totally phoned this one in. The long woven threads of Minerva, Opal Koboi, Artemis's love for Holly, and his determination to heal the planet need to ALL be explored and closed in book 8.

The only reason this book exists is because you need 7 to get to 8. And for that reason ALONE fans should read it, but we've come to expect a LOT more than this from Eoin Colfer.
11 Comment| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 July 2017
Not the best entry into the series but enjoyable none the less. I particularly liked Orion, the story itself was a bit different to the rest of the series but it was nice to have an all new bad guy rather than retreading old ground. Onto the final book in the series!
on 19 December 2010
Artemis fowl and the atlantis complex is a very strange book. this is because in all the other artemis fowl books he is organised, cunning and always in control of the situation. Artemis develops a psycological disorder called the atlantil complex which is kind of similar to OCD. He starts hating the number 4 and loves/needs the number 5. At the start of the book he meets with his fairy friends to discuss a solution for global warming when the meeting is attacked by robots that foaly (the genius centaur) designed. During the attack artemis gets electrocuted and changes from one personality to another. At the same time we learn that commander root's evil brother is controlling the robots from his prison. from which he intends to escape which he does using the robots as a diversion. Artemis and holly manage to escape the robots thanks to Mulch Diggums, Butler and Juliet (a dwarf and a close friend of theirs) after escaping the robots the get captured by root's brother, but the escape and finally save the day. I would recommend this book only to those who have already read the other artemis fowl books, it is very complex and it confused me a lot the first time I read it. I hope you buy and enjoy this book because I certainly did.
on 17 April 2017
this book has an amazing amount of physical and mental action i love it. it also has lots of emotion
u fall in love with the characters
on 9 February 2013
This book is amazing, is one of my favourite books yet. It has a few grammar mistakes, but they are not present in the paperback edition of it, so it was not eoin colfer 's fault. Most people have written really mean reviews and they think this book is the worst out of the series, but this is one of the strongest, as many loose ends have been tied up, and a few more have been created, which is simply to make you want to read the next book! I'm only 12 but I'm the only one who really appreciated this book out of all the people who wrote reviews.