on 20 June 2010
We made one of the recipes and it was obvious from a read through that it wasn't going to work but I went along with it and it didn't work at all. It was macaroni cheese and the recipe said to just pour cold milk onto cooked macaroni and layer with uncooked chese, then put in the oven rather than make a sauce. I'm still glad I bought the book because it cost almost nothing, is an introduction to new orleans cuisine for a 5 year old and as she can't read english I will manipulate the recipes in future to ensure their success. The book is hard back and the recipes are full on things like jambalaya and deep fried beignets as well as sandwiches etc. It is certainly not a no cook or easy bake book.
on 17 May 2010
My daughter just turned 10 and this book was a present from us. She is an inspiring chef and loves the book and found it easy to follow with good recipes!
on 15 May 2012
The recipes in this book provide a lovely introduction to New Orleans cuisine. As an adult, I found perfecting the jambalaya quite difficult and I definitely wouldn't recommend making beignets with children - boiling hot fat is just a recipe for disaster. Also, the recipes aren't that accurate so I found with the beignets I needed to add more nutmeg and with the jambalaya much more liquid was needed to stop the rice burning on the bottom of the pan. So as a recipe book, it's not quite perfect, but as a concept it's brilliant. Beautiful pictures throughout and clear photos of how things should look. I've had to 'translate' a lot because this is an American cookbook so be warned - measurements are in cups and some ingredients are a bit hard to get hold of or you have to substitute. When it boils down to it though, I think I'm just in love with the fact it's Princess and the Frog themed.
on 18 August 2014
Superb book and at an excellent price. Very good service and excellent packaging. Made my daughter very happy.
on 20 August 2014
good child friendly cook book. yummy recipes too.