on 18 February 2015
I purchased this book primarily for reference purposes whilst undertaking research for a leadership and management module. Kotter takes a common sense approach and his model is logical and written in a practical sequence. He also presents his own experiences well through use of case study examples. This makes for an easy read and offers a basis for understanding organisational behaviour and development. However, whilst I appreciate that this book was a best seller, I was hard pushed to find validation of the full eight step process. The book does not even contain references to any external sources, and the majority of `evidence' is presented by Kotter himself in follow up articles or books.

Despite the lack of validity, I do value Kotter's ideas. However, whilst I am certainly no match for a Harvard professor, I do not think leading change is as linear a process as Kotter's model suggests. Evidence from my own practice in social services suggests that the development and communication of a vision is of primary importance. This establishes a rationale for urgency by affording individuals opportunity to see what change can actually offer them which, in turn, can nurture their own leadership and team working skills. Urgency, without a purpose, can only be false and unsustainable. Contextual variables, therefore, must be accounted for, and I have found it more constructive to adapt Kotter's framework and consider it alongside other models and theories.

on 17 August 2016
Clear book, full of both positive and negative examples, with valid logic, easy understandable steps and reasons. Though some figures are just excessive as they are repeated in main text. But maybe it is because of these figures do not fit for reading on iPhone
on 22 February 2017
Robust and adaptable framework for leading change.
on 12 May 2016
I am inspired by this book. I am studying change management for my nursing degree and this book has spurred me on. The bookseller sent it promptly and I it is my constant study companion.
on 24 April 2017
As described
on 23 July 2016
Great read
on 22 February 2011
This is the best management book I have read. The explanations of why change leadership and management fails are highly accurate in my experience. I could see my career in organisations pass before me as I read it. The solutions are not easy, but JPK puts forward a clear approach which if followed gives the best chance of success.